Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about Korg KLC-1 upgrade

zeronyne

Let me say first:

1) I am a fan of hardware dongles as a form of copy protection. I hate having my studio CPU hooked up to the internet, and challenge/response is a ridiculous pain. If we can't have simple serial numbers, then the ability to install my software on two or three computers and just transferring the dongle is fine with me.

2) I own or have owned the following Korg keyboards: M1, M1Rex, M3r, T2ex, O1/W Pro, Triton Pro X, Prodigy, Wavestation SR, S3, DSS1, SG1, RK100, and the Legacy Collection/MS20. My main workstation keyboard has almost always been Korg-branded. I am a huge fan of Korg synthesizer technology.

I received and email that concerns me:

Korg is pleased to announce the release of Version 1.2.1 for the original KLC-1,

the ANALOG EDITION, and the Virtual MS-20 (not available in all countries),

which are now available as free downloads at KORG USER NET.

These versions all support Intel-based Macs.

NOTE : These MacIntel updaters are a free download, but they require that the user has already purchased the RTAS dongle-based upgrade (v1.2 upgrade).

OK, so even if I don't want or need the RTAS option, I need to buy a USB key, even though the software already has challenge/response and/or Internet verification?

THAT IS NOT A FREE UPGRADE

I know that there's been a ton of discussion on this topic in the Korg forums (which I mistakenly thought was sponsored by Korg). And Jerry the K, I completely understand your (and Korg's) position on this.

But I cannot even FIND a place that is selling the dongles separately. You said the upgrade would be "cheap, at least from my perspective". Could you tell me how much it is and where I can get it? Chicago GC's don't have a sku for it, and Sam Ash is basically worthless in terms of phone info.

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm running the Legacy Digital Edition, and received a dongle when I purchased the software. The dongle is through a seperate security organization. When I get to my system tonight, I'll look to see if I can find any other information that might be helpful. In the meantime, you might try contacting Jerry the K. He's been very helpful to me, and I'm sure would do what he can to help out.

Long Live Korg :wave::D

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Quick thought. Have you tried contacting Korg directly? They should at least be able to steer you in the right direction.

I've called them several times with other issues, and they've always been very helpful.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

The Korg products (KLC-DE) and now the upgrade to the original KLC use Syncrosoft copy protection. Therefore you need a "Syncrosoft USB Key". Syncrosoft technically refers to this as the "Syncrosoft eLicenser":

http://www.syncrosoft.com/Syncrosoft_Software_and_Digital_Media_Protection_Suite-78-30.html

Other companies that use a Syncrosoft dongle are Steinberg, IK Multimedia, and Vienna Symphonic Library, so you can use the same key if you own any of these products (a Syncrosoft USB Key can hold 99 licenses).

Otherwise, you can buy the Steinberg Key here:

($25) AudioMidi

http://www.audiomidi.com/License-Key--Steinberg--P6254.aspx

($25) Sweetwater

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SteinbergKey/

Alternatively, if you have ever thought about upgrading your KLC to KLC-DE ($99), the KLC-DE product comes with a Syncrosoft Key. You can buy the upgrade through the Korg USA Online Store (there is a link to the store in the link below, just scroll to the bottom where it mentions the $99 upgrade):

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=KLC1D&category_id=8

Given you already plan to buy the key, the upgrade would really only cost you an additional $74 ($99-$25).

Here is a photo of the Korg USB Key. The only difference between it and Syncrosoft keys from other companies are the Korg logo (which you can't see real well) and it is purple:

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/4295/korgusbkeysn8.jpg

P.S. -- In the picture, notice the key is sitting on a piece of paper, which is sitting on top of a certain black keyboard (hint). Given your comments I saw on another forum, hopefully you will realize I don't need to "Photoshop" anything, regardless of what others might say (who are wrong by the way) :)

Archived