Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Insomnia sucks

Ok it's 11:48 pm as i write this,i finally got 2 days of work from the local employment agency and am supposed to meet my contact at 5:30 am.I've tried all the major remedies and still no shut eye. How do you all deal w/ bouts of insomnia? trying to :bor:
I cannot be bought, and I cannot be threatened. But if you put them both together then I'm your man!"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I`ve been battling with it for some time. Medicinal remedies generally suck, I don`t bother with them-or I save them for saturday night. The best natural cure is meditation and breathing exercises. If you listen very closely to your breathing around 11 p.m. or so, you`ll probabl;y find it more rapid and shallow than it should be for that time of night. Try to slowly increase the length and depth of your breaths and you`ll relax. That`ll make it easier to sleep.

Physical stress cancels out mental stress. If that's not an option (too late in the evening, etc.) I hit plan B - a really hot shower, followed by reading, lights out and then deep abdominal "boxed" breathing: drawing a square with the mind, the sides representing inhales and exhales, a minimum of 5 seconds for each, the breaths as even as possible. If I'm still not asleep after 30 minutes of boxed breathing, I count backwards from 1000 by 7s. Usually works. (*YMMV) :thu:
meh

[quote]Originally posted by Midimonk: [b] How do you all deal w/ bouts of insomnia? [/b][/quote]I deal with it by not sleeping, as I am presently doing here at 4:30 am. 'rold: physical stress just makes me tired. Doesn't make me sleep.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I've been an insomniac for years. 3-4 hours of sleep was usually all I could get. the MD's were trying to prescribe Ambien, but I have this thing against taking narcotics, so that was never an option for me. I agree with taking Melatonin, and I found something else that really works for me. (Note, I wrote "for me." YMMV) I play tennis really aggressively, and generally exhaust myself to the point where my body is craving sleep. Tennis is a great game, if it doesn't cripple you first. (Like it's done to me...) The combination of physical exertion and the mental calculations required (angles, shot types, strategy, etc.) all required in real time do wonders for making me really sleepy. Hell, I've come home from evening matches, and had trouble not falling asleep in my recliner. The exercise won't hurt you, and regardless of what level you play at, it still works, and is still fun. If that doesn't work, try finding a somewhat exertive sport that does, maybe rollerblading or something like that. Raise your endorphin and adrenalin levels, and when they drop, they produce a natural sleepiness. ..Joe
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

[quote]Originally posted by 'rold: [b]Physical stress cancels out mental stress. If that's not an option (too late in the evening, etc.) [/b][/quote]Yep, this is what usually works for me. If I don't exercise, by the 3rd day insomnia is back. I find that evening eating habits influences this quite a bit. I try to eat at least 3 hours before I plan to sleep, and eat lightly. I try to make breakfast and lunch my heavier meals. The times that I do have to work late I have a snack at work and then just have some soup before going to bed. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet though. I've gone to job interviews without blinking an eye. Keeping a schedule also helps. Try to regulate your body by going to bed at the same time, and waking up at the same time.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I also have a lot of trouble with insomnia. My natural body clock seems to wake up at 10PM. I don't like dealing with narcotics either unless I have the following day to kill (not happening lately!). All of the suggestions here are good. Some combination of the following usually works for me: Melatonin Reading (I have this book called "The Creators" by Daniel Boorstin - Really cool subject matter, horrible, boring prose - puts me right out) Soft music (James Taylor is great) Bad TV or movie and of course... Sex :love: (If my wife isn't too crabby)

well i got my "near" cure for insomnia,i just worked for 30hrs since thursday w/ a 5hr power nap.i felt tired then my crazy "addiction" for this forum pulled me right back in. :eek: Sometime's it feels so good to work,it's been 4 months of hell.I stocked/placed orders for 5 albertsons stores,accumulated over 3oo miles of driving and remember the word pain.I need to get back in shape,ouch :cry:
I cannot be bought, and I cannot be threatened. But if you put them both together then I'm your man!"

There is another herb that causes drowsiness without giving a hangover, Valerian. This really works, although it does have a very pungent odor similar to dirty feet. I'm serious, it really stinks, but it will help you get to sleep. I question the use of anything like that on a regular basis, though, because your body might become reliant on it. Most drugstores, natural food stores, and even some grocery stores carry Valerian.

Valerian felt like a muscle relaxant to me, I don't like that "my muscles aren't working" sensation. Then one starts to think about respiratory problems while sleeping, and then reflux asphyxiation... Oh well, it wouldn't have worked without my overactive mind, anyhow. I'm beginning to think *nothing* will work.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived