Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help: Melodica Emergency!

Tricia

I'm handicapped so to stay in our senior citizen recorder group, I need to give up my recorder and play melodica. Just to see if it'd really work, I tried a student Hohner 32. Everythng seemed fine except one of the members criticized notes at the top of my range as being harsh and out of tune. I agree. So my question is: what is the best melodica to go with?

I'm looking at the Hohner HM-36, but it doesn't come with a tube (which I must use because of my left arm's being paralyzed). Do you know if the HM-32's tube is compatible with the HM-36?

Is there another melodica that has a mellow tone and plays in tune through out it's range?

I really need help fast because I'm supposed to be in a little concert on December 13.

Thanks a million for any suggestions you can come up with.

Trish.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tricia, I see this is your first post. Welcome!

I don't have a solution to your problem but I know someone here will provide you with one.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Tricia,

I unfortunately don't have answers to your questions, but i'm wondering if the melodica you tried was new. If it wasn't, it may just have gotten out of tune. I have a 32 key Hohner (I don't think it's a student model, though), and in the 15 years I've had it, it's definitely not as in tune as it was when it was new. So maybe just try a different one, and see if exhibits the same problems.

Jonathan

Tricia,

If you're down to the wire (timewise) with an out of tune melodica, you can tune it. (Or have someone tune it for you)

It's just like tuning a harmonica. You file the reeds to make them more sharp or flat. I had a harmonica player friend that showed me how to do it and I tune my melodicas all the time.

One of the groups that I work with sometimes plays street festivals and I play melodica. The HM36 is a nice instrument. I also have 5 or 6 cheap (20-30euro) melodicas that I'm constantly interchanging parts with. (reed plates, keys, ect)

You can also find plastic tubing at a hardware store to adapt to the HM36 or any other melodica.

Welcome and good luck.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e190/latchmo/melodica.jpg

Archived