Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pls help: Roland Juno-g vs XP-30

denistu

Hello,

I have Roland XP-30 with 60&70 and Vintage Synth expansion boards. I am thinking of an upgrade since Roland released so many models after XP-30. I know about the Fantom but since I am not a pro player, I can't justify paying high price for keys.

I heard many good things about the new Juno-G and would like to know if it would be a good replacement for my XP-30.

The only thing that I am afraid of is that I might not feel a big tonal difference between xp-30 and Juno-g in which case I would waste my money.

I was wondering if anybody compared the sound quality of Juno-g and xp-30 ? Is there a really big difference considering that my XP-30 come with two expansion boards.

Oh, ... I forgot to mention. I heard that Juno-g doesn't have after touch. That really sucks ...

But I would compromise if the sounds are much better then xp-30.

Thanks !

Dennis

Nord Electro 3, Motif ES-6

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I could tell the difference between the XP line and the Fantom line. I had an XP-50 and XP-80 stack with a few expansion cards. I went to an XP-5080 and Fantom 76. The main difference was in the bottom. Better, smoother bass. Depending on what you want, the SRX cards are a big improvement for piano, ep and strings. I get a lot of use out of the SRX studio card but one of the worst music purchases I ever made was the origional SRX piano card.

Are you using the on board sequencer? That may be an important factor.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Fantoms do have a slightly fuller low end. I noticed it too then I compared my XP-60 to my Fantom S. I set both up with the same waveforms and filters (some rom is shared by both). Some have claimed to hear a more detailed high end, but with effects disabled I couldn't hear that one. Fantoms have a much better reverb which can give that illuusion though. And my hearing isn't what it used to be either (too many nights in the backline next to rides and crashes).

But if you can't go up to a Fantom I wouldn't uprgade to a Juno as long as your XP-30 is functioning OK. But you know, go check ot out. Juno Gs are everywhere. Their keyboards aren't as nice, you won't have the advantages of your expansion boards unless you also fork out $250 for SRX-07, but they do have better effects. Are you using any outboard processing?

Hello guys,

I don't need a sequencer since I use my laptop with Cubase for those kinds of things.

I am using my XP-30 mainly for my "outside home" practice and gigging. I found that its weight and spectum of sounds make it perfect gigging machine( I got tired of dragging my kurz PC2X to gigs).

It has decent EPs, organs, leads and pads which I use often.

I don't use any ooutboard processing, just my Roland KC-300.

Overall i am happy with my XP-30 but it would be nice to have more "up-to-date" sounds.

Based on your comments it seems that I should eather keep my XP-30 or go for Fantom X6 ?

Cheers,

Dennis

The XP-30 is still a heck of a performance synth. I mean, even a stock Fantom X without any expansions isn't going to be that much of an improvement in the categories you mention. And a Juno... well just check one out and you'll see.

My advice... wait out this current cycle. Especially since your'e still happy. I think all the big three are going to announce new (not just more rehashes) rompler boards in January, since the current lineup is getting long in the tooth. Don't limit youself to just Roland. But wait until spring, and save up for a pro (not budget) board to purchase then.

Thanks Bill, Rabid;

Another question within the same topic ...

Please could you tell me if the Fantom X6 presets of Organs, EPs and Vintage Synth sounds are comparable to the same type of sounds found on SRJV80 cards mentioned above (60&70 and Vintage Synth).

In other words, I wonder if I would have the same quality of these sounds if I buy Fantom X6 or I should have to buy SRX expansions to get the same quality (or better) of Organs, EPs and Vintage Synths found in SRJVs.

Thanks !

Dennis

Hi Denitsu.

I also have an XP-30 and plan to move up to a Fantom X. I've been asking this very same question myself some time ago, and went to a store to check a Fantom X on that.

It looks like the "factory" Organ sounds are different from those we got on our XP-30s. Some are nice, but as expected the palette is limited and sooner or later you'd find yourself yearning for more variety and quality.

I did not examine the EPs thoroughly. As for the Vintage Synth "factory" patches, there are some, but what I've written regarding the Organs is much more acute in the Vintage Synth department: Too little variation.

I hope the experience I described above might help you, and am anyway waiting on someone elses possible answers to this very interesting question of yours.

I got to tip my hat to Roland's Marketing dept., for they sure end up getting their way and "forcing" one or two expansion cards upon most users. For us previous expanded XP-30 users, the SRX-07 is kind of "unavoidable" :cry: .

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

SRX-07 is essential OMO and you might as well just figure it into the cost of any Fantom (or Juno) if you end up going that way. My main gigging board is a Fantom S with SRX-07 Vintage Keys and World in it. If you want the sound of a Hammond+Leslie, there is nothing like the organs in the old 60s-70s and the new SRX-07 because they sampled the whole thing with the rotors spinning. I'm a former Hammond (B3 and L101) player and these are the only organ sounds on any rompler that I have been able sink my fingers into. Nothing like these sounds is in Fantom native ROM. I wish I had the ability to post some examples!

The Rhodeses are perhaps a bit better in the Fantom, and the Wurlies better on SRX-07... tough call. My own favorite Rhodes sound is not authentic, but EP1 on my old RD-300s, and I've been able to copy it on both my XP-60 and Fantom S because Roland still provides SA waveforms in native ROM (thank you Mr. Roland!). But there are no presets, I've had to roll my own... no problem for me... I know Roland romplers.

BTW World is in there because of it's pedal steels... I play a lot of country, and they are the best pedal steels in any rompler. Too bad I had to buy the whole board for just that sound.

None of the synth sounds were usable to me playing live, so I did my own. I just use three regularly... a three osc Minimoog-type lead, a synth-brass pad, and a sync-sweep style lead, all which I could get with native ROM. There are several supersaw waves in the Fantom if you like that sort of thing.

Archived