Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Karma/Triton Users

SilverDragonSoun

Karma Users:

Anyone own one? Use one? I'm curious about your impressions about it.

Triton Users:

I'm also curious if any Triton owners use the Karma Triton software. How well does the software emulate the Karma?

Any pros or cons for either in your opinion.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had many brief conversations, both in person at NAMM and via email with Stephen Kay, about the inner workings of KARMA, and it was fascinating. At the time, though, the Karma Triton software for Mac was only OS 9 compatible, which killed it for me. I'm not sure if that has changed.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Triton Users:

I'm also curious if any Triton owners use the Karma Triton software. How well does the software emulate the Karma?

To use the Karma MW software (with the Karma) or use the Karma Triton software (with the Triton) you must have your computer physically connected via midi to your keyboard. The "Karma function" (essentially a very sophisticated midi generator engine) runs on the computer.

The Triton Classic/Extreme/Studio/Rack emulates the Karma keyboard EXACTLY, since:

-- both the Karma and the above Tritons share the same base 32MB of Sound ROM (samples)

-- both share the same 5 insert FX (IFX) capabilities

-- Karma Lab licensed the Karma keyboard factory presets from Korg, so you can load the Karma factory sounds into your Triton (this is why it sounds identical)

With the Karma keyboard, you get the Karma Real-Time controls (buttons and knobs) physically on the keyboard itself. With the Karma Triton software, those controls are on a computer screen.

The drawbacks to the Karma keyboad itself:

-- no sampler

-- only allows 2 EXB-PCM board expansions

-- less expensive Fatar action

-- only 61 keys

The Triton Extreme would give you:

-- sampler and re-sampling

-- has 160MB of samples versus the Karma onboard 32MB

-- has the Triton dual arpeggiators (you would turn these off normally when working with the Karma Triton software, but they are still nice to have)

-- available in 61,76, and 88 keys

Unless you are going to gig with it (and need the real-time controls of the Karma keyboard), I think a Triton Extreme + Karma Triton software makes a good combination.

I have owned both a Karma keyboard and a Triton Extreme with Karma Triton software. I never had any problem with the PACE copy protection (challenge/Response) on my Windows PC.

Robert,

When you mention pace, are you referring to the security protocol of the software?

Yes. The Karma MW software and Karma Triton software use PACE software protection. PACE offers developers different forms of copy protection, including challenge/response (which does require installation of some PACE drivers) and the more familiar iLok dongle (also installs some PACE drivers)

Most people don't have problems with Pace, but a lot do. I had issues with Pace when it was used to secure Tassman from AAS. After suffering a motherboard failure I had to rebuild my computer. For two weeks I tried to authorize Tassman through the Pace system and had no luck. Luckily someone from AAS was hanging at KVR at the time and they helped me get a response. Other people had bigger problems and many times Pace would screw up something else on the computer. It was not long before AAS dropped Pace in favor of a more customer friendly in-house solution. You don't see much software that still uses the original Pace protection. Check around on KVR and you will see that it is by far the most despised copy protection method by customers who buy software.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Martin and Robert,

Thanks so much for your comments. This is exactly what I was looking for. I feel I can do some of my own research and see if this going to be an issue. I have never used a program with Pace to the best of my knowledge so I am a bit concerned based on your comments but I will look into deeper myself and do my best to figure out what works best for me. At this point it appears the software route will be the best solution for me as I suspected in the beginning.

- Rush

Originally posted by dp2:

By the way, Karma ships onboard on the Oasys too. This could be another option for you if you want Karma without the aforementioned copy-protection hassels.

Ideally this would be an awesome solution. Unfortunately the price of the Oasys doesn't make this an option for me. Damn money issues :mad:

- Rush

Originally posted by dp2:

By the way, Karma ships onboard on the Oasys too. This could be another option for you if you want Karma without the aforementioned copy-protection hassels.

Ideally this would be an awesome solution. Unfortunately the price of the Oasys doesn't make this an option for me. Damn money issues :mad:
I feel you on that. I suffered for years with an accute case of pocketsnomoneyitis and gear-envy. A couple years ago, the newest board I played on--outside of the typical music store keyboard showrooms--was a Kawai K3.

I sold my Karma a few months and picked up a 76 key Triton Extreme. What I really miss from the Karma is some of the drum parts I was able to push out. It is not the drum patterns that I miss, but what the Karma did to the filters, panning and effects of those patterns. I got some very cool rhythms out of that machine but it was not very good for recording those same drum parts.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by RABid:

I sold my Karma a few months and picked up a 76 key Triton Extreme. What I really miss from the Karma is some of the drum parts I was able to push out.

Given the Karma Triton software doesn't use many computer system resources, another option would be to pick up a really cheap Windows PC and use it for the Karma Triton software. That way, you wouldn't need to worry at all about PACE protection.

Originally posted by RABid:

I sold my Karma a few months and picked up a 76 key Triton Extreme. What I really miss from the Karma is some of the drum parts I was able to push out. It is not the drum patterns that I miss, but what the Karma did to the filters, panning and effects of those patterns. I got some very cool rhythms out of that machine but it was not very good for recording those same drum parts.

Robert

I bought his Karma a few months ago and must say it was one of the best purchases I ever made. I'm using it live (without the Karma functions right now) but in my studio ... I turn it on ... and the next thing I know it's five hours later. So much inspiration all in one place. I also bought the MW software as well as several combi libraries. Never been happier! Good luck!

and many thanks again Robert

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Archived