Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One finger chords

Ironstorm

Hi I have a set of roland PK5 pedals hooked up to a Moog little fatty. works great gives the Taurus sound I was looking for. Now I am looking for something inexpencive to hookup to this setup that will allow me to play string and organ chords buy use only one pedal on the PK5`s can anyone tell me what is the best module or keyboard to use for this from most expencive to the cheapest and what has the best sound

thanks for listening Ironstorm

Alembic SC Standard slim neck taper

Warrior Signature fretless

G&L L2000 Spalt top w/Maple fretboard

Ibanez SR500

Genz-Benz Neo-Pak 3.5

Two Genz-Benz Neox 1x12T cabs

Genz-Benz XB2 4x10 cab

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Roland Fantom X series allows you to create a chord which can be triggered by a single note. But it's limited to the same chord quality per patch, e.g. if you build a 7(#9) chord, it will only play 7(#9)s.

The Korg Karma has a really cool feature where you can build different, complex chords and they can be triggered by buttons. I can't remember exactly, but there is an issue of how these can be triggered externally. I don't believe you can use MIDI note on/offs and that you have to use CCs. It's something like that.

Arranger keyboards or even the entry level Casio/Yamaha home keyboards might actually have more options here. It's something to explore.

Busch.

The single-fingering for the Yamaha PSR-3000 is as follows:

(http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/port/psr3000_om_en1.pdf -- p103.)

"SINGLE FINGER Makes it simple to produce orchestrated accompaniment using major, seventh, minor and minor-seventh chords by pressing a minimum number of keys on the Chord section of the keyboard.

"For a major chord, press the root key only.

"For a minor chord, simultaneously press the root

key and a black key to its left.

"For a seventh chord, simultaneously press the root

key and a white key to its left.

"For a minor-seventh chord, simultaneously press the root key a

both a white and black key to its left"

I played on a Casio home keyboard while in a 'big box' consumer electronics store today. IIRC, it didn't even recognise Maj9 or add9 chords; it did, however, have an SD card slot.

One finger chords .... hmmm. Perhaps it would be possible to simply use a blow tube to trigger a chord using your breath. This way you wouldn't have to tax any of your fingers. Just a thought.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

One finger chords .... hmmm. Perhaps it would be possible to simply use a blow tube to trigger a chord using your breath. This way you wouldn't have to tax any of your fingers. Just a thought.

Dave, I think he might be a guitar player; he needs his hands for things like playing the guitar and fondling the waitress.

Busch.

Originally posted by lerber3:

Hey, what chord is this:

C

Its either Ab or Am or D7 (maj or minor unknown)

Obviously as you are playing only one note, its either the third or the seven. Playing greasy in the background Hammond, these one note chords often work really well. Its hard to make yourself play (and hold) just one note, of course.

Originally posted by Martin Hines:

Originally posted by Ironstorm:

Hi I have a set of roland PK5 pedals hooked up to a Moog little fatty.

I'm pretty sure the Moog Little Phatty is monophonic, meaning it can only sound one note at a time.
I think thats why he's asking which additional module he should get to allow him to play chords for strings and pads.

Ironstorm, the problem here (as I'm sure you're aware) is that any module you find is going to play the MIDI notes that are generated. You're only option for 1-note chords would probably be from one of those previously mentioned arranger keyboards.

However, you might further investigate MIDI Solution's Event Processor - its a box that you could place between the PK5 and the module that would generate some extra MIDI messages for you.

I'm not sure if it would work or not, but then you could use any module you wanted. You can read about it here - http://midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm

Hi guys yes I know the little fatty is monophonic I have one. Thanks for the info so far just to clear things up yes burningbusch is right I am a Bass player useing the pk5 and the moog fatty like the old taurus pedals. I do not know how to play keyboards well enough to do what I hear in my head for songs thus playing chords useing the pk5 pedals. It could be the only salution to this problem is to practice simple chord progrestions on my kids casio and play Bass with my pk5`s. I do have a design idea written down and spoke with a company about it, they asked if I could send it to them with the sounds Im looking for and they would take a look to let me know if it would be posable to produce a module like what we have been talking about. They told me they get some of there best ideas from there customers so we will see. Please keep the ideas and your knowledge of these things comeing thanks Ironstorm

Ibanez SR500

Genz-Benz Neo-Pak 3.5

Genz-Benz XB2 4x10 cab

Hi guys yes I know the little fatty is monophonic I have one. Thanks for the info so far just to clear things up yes burningbusch is right I am a Bass player useing the pk5 and the moog fatty like the old taurus pedals. I do not know how to play keyboards well enough to do what I hear in my head for songs thus playing chords useing the pk5 pedals. It could be the only salution to this problem is to practice simple chord progrestions on my kids casio and play Bass with my pk5`s. I do have a design idea written down and spoke with a company about it, they asked if I could send it to them with the sounds Im looking for and they would take a look to let me know if it would be posable to produce a module like what we have been talking about. They told me they get some of there best ideas from there customers so we will see. Please keep the ideas and your knowledge of these things comeing thanks Ironstorm

Ibanez SR500

Genz-Benz Neo-Pak 3.5

Genz-Benz XB2 4x10 cab

Archived