Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SRX-11 Expansion Card

harky_123

Guys have an RD-700 and would like to put new piano samples on it, i have heard that the srx-11 expansion gives the same main piano samples as on the RD-700sx. Is this true? The piano patches on the RD-700 have a very short sustain,will this happen when i put the expansion card in,that the new sounds will sustain short also.?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by harky_123:

... The piano patches on the RD-700 have a very short sustain,will this happen when i put the expansion card in,that the new sounds will sustain short also.?

No. Sustain is a product of individual patches and not the keyboard. The SRX-11 piano will sound better than the RD700. There has been much debate about the difference between the sound difference RD700SX and the SRX-11 but the samples are the same.

You might look around for the modified patches for the RD700 that improve the sustain.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thanks, how much would i pick up a second hand one for?Is the fantom x piano also on the srx-11?the srx will just plug into the 2 expansion slots on the board yea?also can you recommend a good amp for this stage piano which won't cost a fortune.

I don't think the FantomX piano is on the card. I like the FantomX piano as a second choice because it does sound different than the SRX-11 piano. Yes, the SRX-11 card is plug and go.

You might want to see how much it will cost you to upgrade to a RD700SX. Then you have the sounds you want and two slots free.

As for the amp, you might be better off doing a search on the forum here. (See the search function at the top of the page.) There have been a few discussions on amps for stage.

Robert

Originally posted by RABid:

You might want to see how much it will cost you to upgrade to a RD700SX. Then you have the sounds you want and two slots free.

Robert

Harky_123,

This was my thought as I read your post. I think in the long run this could be the best option for you.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by GregC:

Nope, not correct. The Fantom X acoustic piano IS on the SRX 11

Look at the SRX 11 patch names

Hmmm. Strange, seeing that Roland markets the SRX-11 as "One piano, no compromise" while the RD700SX claims "two complete 88-note world-class concert grand pianos, each with individual multisamples for every key, and recorded at a variety of velocity levels." I've also seen the FantomX piano listed as 64 meg, which is also the size of the expansion card, and the size of the new RD700SX piano.

Robert

I have the SRX11 ($220 new) and am not aware of the Fantom piano on it. Which patch is it?

I am of the opinion that the RD-700SX Piano 1 sounds better than the SRX-11 version. The RD-700SX sounds and behaves more "right". I use Patch #4 on my SRX-11 for playing live because it is brghter.

Find 750 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." 

I'm not following that at all. The waveforms on the SRX-11 card are listed as CmpPno XXXXX. On the Fantom X the Ultimate Piano waveforms are located in Wave bank B and are called Jazzpno XXXXX.

Patch name Superior Grand on the SRX-11/RD700SX Piano A and Ultimate X on the Fantom (preset bank F) and SRX Piano B.

Busch.

this is not true. I had SRX-11 week ago and just returned it.

There is for sure no Fantom piano there, which for me (expecially Ultimate Grand) is much better then all these patches in this card. Just ordered fantom X8 because of its piano sound.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I finally got answer from the source, from Roland

site FAQ about piano samples in Fantom and SRX-11:

"To achieve the highest quality sound, the grand piano sounds in both the Fantom-X6/X7/X8/XR and the SRX-11 use newly recorded 88-key multisampled waveform sets. However, the underlying waveform sets - as well as the actual pianos that were sampled - are entirely different.

As such, installing the SRX-11 in a Fantom-X6/X7/X8/XR gives you access to two different 88-key multisampled grand piano sounds, each with their own unique character. This allows you to choose the grand piano sound that is most suitable for any particular recording or live performance situation."

So that's what I thought, both pianos Fantom and SRX-11 are equally good but come from different pianos so with different characters.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Archived