Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most expensive keyboard ever?

Skythe

Originally posted by MightyTonewheel:

Isn't a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand something in the range of $400,000?
Nope...closer to $100,000. They're well under $200,000 in any event. Used, $40,000-ish.

One of the most expensive pianos in production is the Yamaha Disklavier Pro 2000, retailing for $333,000. Read story here

The most expensive piano ever was the original Alma-Tadema Steinway, auctioned for $1.2 million. Copies are $675,000, but I understand you can get a pretty good deal if you order in bulk. Read story here

Actually, you'll never buy an Imperial Grand for anywhere near $40,000.

Model (290) Imperial Grand PRICE LIST:

290 9'6"

EBONY HIGH GLOSS $179,550

290 9'6"

White, WalNUT, ChERRY, MahOGANY,PomELE, BubINGA, WENGE HIGH POLISH, SatIN, OR OPEN PORE $198,800

290 9'6"

PyrAMID, MahOGANY, Amboyna, Rio ROsEwOOd, BurlED WALNUT, YEW, Macassar HIGH POLISH, SatIN, OR OPEN PORE $205,975

290 9'6"

JOHANN STRAUSS EBP $195,125

290 9'6"

FRANZ SCHUBERT EBP $195,125

290 9'6"

VIENNA ANY FINISH $241,575

290 9'6"

SENATOR ANY FINISH $199,675

290 9'6"

CHOPIN ANY FINISH (AFRICAN POMELE) $238,125

290 9'6"

CLASSIC RIO ROSEWOOD & YACHT ANY FINISH $209,875

290 9'6" ARTISAN $264,450

J.P. LUX :thu:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by The Real MC:

You can still buy new pipe organs. Can't get more expensive than that.

I wonder how the instrument will look in 100 years. How many makers of acoustic pianos will exist? Will anyone still make pipe organs or will everything be digital .... will it matter?

(It won't to me, I'll be long dead.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I wonder how the instrument will look in 100 years. How many makers of acoustic pianos will exist? Will anyone still make pipe organs or will everything be digital .... will it matter?

Don't think I'm going to see it or make NAMM 2106 either. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by Skythe:

I noticed the Korg Oasys is around a giant whopping 8k. Anything more expensive than that in the keyboard aisle of a music shop?

I nice piano can set you back 25000 to you name it (100,000+.

Not in an isle at the shop but at the end of the isle of a church, or concert hall, a pipe organ can be substantially more than that.

Quoted by Prague:

Hi. I'm new here. I want to start playing keyboards.

I want it to record, play, have piano, brass, synths, and USB and MIDI. Can it be blue instead of green?

My budget is < $150. I'll just sit back and let you all give me the answers and I won't post ever again.

Uh......you didn't specify the style of music you're playing, and whether you want piano action or synth action....Uh....... :freak::D

Erlic

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Sure they will. The question will be whether they will be considered replicas of ancient instruments, like you would consider, say, a saxhorn made today.

Perhaps you will go to a concert to hear John Cage not played on a traditional instrument instead of an electronic one!

We won't really have an effective electronic replacement for a real piano until someone puts a temperature sensor in one so it can go gradually out of tune as the auditorium heats up!

Brydman stated: "We won't really have an effective electronic replacement for a real piano until someone puts a temperature sensor in one so it can go gradually out of tune as the auditorium heats up!"

Not impossible to do: You take a Resistive temperature probe, put it into an analog to digital converter, figure out the maximum pitch change that you will allow. Set the range of the probe to control the max range of the A/D. Set a control pedal input on the keyboard controller to accept the signal as pitch change. Set the maximum pitch change on your controller.

Quote by Jeff Klopmeyer

-----------------------------------

All this is great anecdotal stuff for the people who think that the

Oasys is so ridiculously expensive.

We've become spoiled brats, all of us! Damn near every synthesizer, not very long ago, was so prohibitively expensive that "normal people" would never hope to actually own one. The $8 large for an Oasys would have been $50,000 (if not a lot more) twenty years earlier.

It's a great time to be a musician.

-----------------------------------

Boy that's the truth. When I think of all the money I spent in the seventies and eighties on keys, and look at it from a capability standpoint, we are getting some great bargains these days.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived