Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Key on keyboard has become loose...

Kittie Rose

My D# key has become loose and shaky. My keyboard took a bit of a bash and I'm not sure how to put it back into place. It seems like it's not "sliding under" like the rest are. It doesn't really play very loudly though the key itself makes a pretty nasty noise. It's pretty unusable.

I have a Roland U-20.

Please help as I'm itching to play some piano.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Kittie Rose,

Yep, I guess the quickest solution would be to open it yourself and see if the key is broken or just somewhat out of its position. If it's broken you could always swap it temporarily for another "less used" D# (upper or lower octave), although IIRC the U-20 has only 5 octaves.

Remember that for a black key, you usually need to remove the surrounding keys first (in this case, the D and E) to access it and see what the problem is.

If you can't do it yourself, then give a call at your local keyboard repair shop and see how much they would ask for the work. If you find it's too expensive for the repair, maybe it's time to begin looking for a new synth/piano. :)

How do I open it up? Unscrew it at the bottom?

Where can I get a replacement key that would fit. Wouldn't most Roland boards use the same keys?

I don't want to pay someone to repair it, they're always extortionate. I don't think the key is broken just not in properly.

I'm not familiar with the U-20. I looked at a couple of pics on the net. Can you flip open the top like the hood of a car? That's how you're going to be able to look at where the keys "hinge" to the board. Then you might have to remove the front plate in order to remove any keys.

ok... in order to get to that key the key deck needs to come out of the unit... unless your REAL lucky... if memory serves the thing that holds the key in is a little stip of plastick that rubber cememnted to the frame... can you see it from the bottom???? hope so but doubtful...if not it has to come out... and frankly that ones kinda pain in the ass... you should see aseries of small screws holdint it down... be VERY careful with the clear/green ribbon wire that you see on the end it's real touchy anf known for breaking on that model... when you get it up the key should come loose in your hands... looking at the pivoting end you should see a little lip that slides under the metal frame... that's your pivot.. worst case scenario is it's broke off... if you cant find the key locally and need to gig with it just move another key from either end into that position... good luck...
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

The spring thingie might still be hanging around inside the board somewhere. If you can find it -then pop it back in. But don't let that spring thingie run free inside the board. It could short something out if it gets dislodged from wherever it's hiding now.

Archived