Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tower of Power: Roger Smith

Bluzkeys

I'm going to see Tower of Power next week. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Roger Smith is playing the Hammond XK system now. Does anyone know that for sure or am I trippin' again?

Thanks.

-Bill

Bill Zerbe

Albuquerque, NM

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Way back in the day when Keyboard did the last B-3 shootout, Roger Smith was one of the evaluators and was playing at that time a B3p and two leslie 2101/2121 combos (sort of a shame our favorite mag skipped this leslie set up in order to get to the 3300). Anyway from the looks of the video he is still playing that rig. Chester Thompson and Carlos Santana did sit in with the band this past summer at Montreaux and Roger Smith played too. A real treat for us B-3 folk. I guess that counts as reunion sort of.

That vid with Chester included Carlos Santana as guests. Roger was playing with TOP.

I'll report on the show. It's coming up this weekend.

Roger is a class act. Check his discography, he's played with a lot of well known artists.

Bill Zerbe

Albuquerque, NM

The Tower of Power show was this past weekend. The Average White Band opened for them. Heavy use of the Nord 2. Primarily used the Clav and EP sounds.

Roger Smith was playing the HS Portable B-3 with two Leslie 21 systems. It sounded really great. On a couple of songs the percussion was a little too harsh. Not like on a mechanical B3, otherwise, great sound and GREAT SHOW!!

I have seen TOP numerous times over the years, especially when I lived on the Central Coast, and it seems like they really featured Roger Smith more this time than they have in the past, and certainly for than they ever did Nick Milo.

Tower is celebrating their 39th year.

-Bill

Bill Zerbe

Albuquerque, NM

Archived