Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI messages...

dalpozlead

ok, this is a rookie question:

Is it possible for a controller to send at the same time a MIDI message in 4 different channels?

or is it just my crap controller? (KORG ix-300)

This is because I'll get a kurzweil PC2R and found out reading the manual that there are some programs that uses 4 patches locating them in 4 MIDI channels.....

(My controller only sends MIDI messages in one channel at a time.)

Should I get another controller?

thxs!!!!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my book, a controller must be able to play on more than one MIDI channel. You're not the first person to complain about this, and unfortunately it seems that several recent "controllers" can only transmit on one MIDI channel at a time.

That's not much control, is it? :)

Yep, definitely try to find a better one.

Originally posted by dalpozlead:

ok, this is a rookie question:

Yes, it is. ;) That's okay, though.

Is it possible for a controller to send at the same time a MIDI message in 4 different channels?

The MIDI specification supports the transmission of data on 16 discrete channels via the same electrical connection "simultaneously"... so the answer is "absolutely".

or is it just my crap controller? (KORG ix-300)

I'm not familiar with that controller, but I would suggest that prior to casting aspersions on your gear, given that you don't really understand how MIDI operates, it might be an operator issue... ;)

This is because I'll get a kurzweil PC2R and found out reading the manual that there are some programs that uses 4 patches locating them in 4 MIDI channels.....

Yes, but they are set up as performances, and can be accesses via a single program change message on a single "control" channel.

(My controller only sends MIDI messages in one channel at a time.)

Are you absolutely sure of this? Are you also absolutely sure that this is a problem? (see note above re: the PC2R)

Should I get another controller?

Possibly... or perhaps you just require more experience/understanding of how MIDI works with the gear you already have. :thu:

Edited to add:

If this is the keyboard you're talking about:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/WNAMM97/Korg/iX300.jpg

...then perhaps you should be a little more realistic about things. This was introduced a decade ago, not as a MIDI Controller, but as an integrated Music Workstation. Kinda like bitching that your Dodge Caravan has crummy off-road capabilities. ;)

Archived