Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CME UF8 88-Key MIDI Controller

vicsant

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks much better in person than it does in any pictures.

I like the feel of the graded hammer keys but apparently not everyone agrees.

A new piano module has come out for the CME series called the UF DP-1 Digital Piano Module, but it hasn't hit the shelves yet.

I don't own the UF8 yet but I'm seriously considering it for my studio.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite digital keybed that I've ever played. owned it for nine months then sold to upgrade to a VX8, to cover more of my bases at a gig. Never did the upgrade as I lost so much during a break-in around that time. Not even sure the VX8 is truly available yet but it would be about $1000. Same keybed as the UF8 from what I understand.

This is a noisy keybed, if you play it silently with no sound module. But it has the quickest response of any on the market, which is important to me as I play classical (poorly though), latin styles, jazz, etc., where multi-strike playing is common (even the better digital pianos tend to not do so well at this).

I do have some concern over long-term reliability (not established yet), but this seems to be a problem with ALL digital keybeds, and after all key replacements are cheap for anything distributed by Yamaha (can't speak for the others). They do seem to assume you'll upgrade every five years or so though.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I was keen on buying the UF8 myself, until I realised it had no MIDI setup functions, as is my understanding (pretty limiting in you want to use it live as your 'master' controller).

For simple live use, or in the studio it'd be great though, what with all the knobs it has on the front.

Same with the VX8, no MIDI setups, despite all of its MIDI functionality (and those motorized faders are a disaster waiting to happen).

Originally posted by The Pro:

A new piano module has come out for the CME series called the UF DP-1 Digital Piano Module, but it hasn't hit the shelves yet.

I like the idea of a piano module that can be retrofited to a controller, considering that its hardware components are almost independent of the host instrument. On the other hand, could this just be like a module connected by MIDI, but from within?. However, it's a slightly different concept of an upgradable instrument.
We have time, but none to waste.

Archived