Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp basics?

Skythe

Hey, so my Behringer K900 FX just arrived (Oh god, nobody attack me). So yeah, I was wondering what are some essential amp basics I need to know so I don't blow it up?

My guitarist friend told me to never turn the volumes of a specific channel higher than the master volume or it'll blow up or something. Anything else along those lines I should know?

Thanks

Casio WK 3200: $250.00

Behringer Ultratone FX900: $180.00

Roadrunner bag: $40.00

Intrument cable: $25.00

Radioshack Stand: $10.00

Rocking out of the cheapest equipment you can find: priceless.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Skythe:

My guitarist friend told me to never turn the volumes of a specific channel higher than the master volume or it'll blow up or something. Anything else along those lines I should know?

Thanks

Your guitarist friend is mistaken. This won't blow up anything.

The main thing you need to know is that when you play it so loud that it starts to distort, turn it down.

Crank up the individual channels about 1/2 to 3/4 up, turn up the volume on your keyboards about 3/4, then turn up the master volume as needed. This will keep the noise level at a minimum.

Here's a link to the product page.

CLONK HERE

Congratulations on your purchase & enjoy your amp. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Anything else along those lines I should know?

Yep... stay away from the amp with those index cards of yours . ;):wave:

Some good advice here already... I'll add don't use it as a drink table, don't lend it to your guitar player friend, and don't crank everything up to 10 and drop a cinder block on your keyboard. ;)

Other than that, enjoy it, and have fun making music. :thu:

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Some good advice here already... I'll add don't use it as a drink table, don't lend it to your guitar player friend, and don't crank everything up to 10 and drop a cinder block on your keyboard. ;)

You mean his amp doesn't go up to 11? :eek:

http://gfx.dagbladet.no/pub/artikkel/4/46/462/462565/SpinalTap_Edith_503.jpg

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_nbPIUbSdw for those who don't get the reference.)

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

Oh, wow, is it bad to do that then?

Well, normally no... but it is a Behringer. ;):evil:

Originally posted by soundscape:

for those who don't get the reference.)

:eek:

Anyone that doesn't get the reference should be ashamed of themselves... ;)

Yep, you bet. I think the amp is pretty good. With all the Behringer bashing going around, I almost expected it to be made of cardboard and glue.

It seems pretty durable, and the sound isn't all that bad. A little fuzzer at higher volumes, but I haven't had the chance to notch the baby up to max yet. Also on higher notes, the piano sounds seems a little thinner, though I think it's my keyboard, not the amp.

RE: berh bashing... as a corporate policy they are thieves.... do you run cracked software???

would you like someone stealing your tunes???

spend your money where you want... the ethics thing is on you to decide...IMO...

"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Originally posted by soundscape:

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

You mean his amp doesn't go up to 11? :eek:

What we really need is keyboard amps that go to 12 so we can blow away guitarists.

On the knob positioning. You need to observe something called "gain structuring". If you turn your channel volume way up and your master way down you will get the same volume as having them both in the middle, but you may overload the amp in between the two stages.

Conversely if you turn the master way up and the channel way down, you will get the same volume but now you may get more noise - because the master stage has to amplify a much smaller signal.

You generally want to use the master to set the overall volume level. If you need to get louder use the master level. Use the channel to bring all your ins up to similar levels. On line mixers you use PFL (pre faser listen) to get the inputs up to 0db but keyboard mixers don't have such a facility. So just turn it up till it distorts and then back it off a couple of numbers. You will probably end up with the channel knob about vertical. If you have a mixer with a VU metre on it you can check the output level of your board and if it is down (say at -14db for example) with everything normalled (set to 0db) you will need to add gain (turn the channel knob up)

To summarize - the channel volume conditions the input signal to be at a level the amp likes. The master volume then controls your volume.

If you clip the amp it is said you can blow speakers. Personally I have never seen this happen, but then I never clip amps either.

Originally posted by Byrdman:

If you clip the amp it is said you can blow speakers. Personally I have never seen this happen, but then I never clip amps either. [/QB]

this is absolutely true.... when a signal goes to a square wave it has esentially infinant over tones and its the attempt to reproduce them even at a moderate level that eats the speaker...
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

What do you guys mean by clipping?

Archived