Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piano lessons in NYC?

Dan South

A colleague in my office wants to take piano lessons. Before I send him to S.A. or G.C., I wanted to check to see if any of you might have other recommendations. He's an adult and a complete beginner, and I have no idea what his level of commitment will be. All recommendations will be appreciated.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your friend is interested in learning jazz improv then I can recommend Dave Frank - his email is Dfrankjazz@aol.com

He is also running a free class tonight:

This email is a reminder that this Wednesday evening, Oct. 18th, from 7 -8:30 PM, I'll be presenting the first of two master classes, the first will be studying the music of Eric Clapton.

This event will be held at the Dave Frank School of Jazz at Frank and Camille's Pianos, 29 W 57th St., 2nd floor.

The following night, Thurs. Oct. 19th, from 7- 8:30 PM, I'll be offering a program called GREAT MOMENTS IN JAZZ PIANO: UNDERSTANDING THE MASTERS, at the Brooklyn Public Library, Grand Army Plaza, in the 2nd floor meeting room. Through video and audio examples, I'll be analyzing some of the playing of Art Tatum, Erroll Garner, Keith Jarrett, Bill Evans, and Cecil Taylor. To attend this event by train, take the 2 or 3 train to the Eastern Parkway/Brooklyn Museum of Art stop. Exit the station and walk downhill away from the museum Grand Army Plaza. The library will be on your left, enter through the Eastern Parkway doors, you'll see an orange banner marking the entrance.

On both evenings I'll be doing a short concert and explain some of the concepts that can be used to develop a complete solo jazz piano performance. Both classes are free!

We'll swing into fall this week, join me if you can!

Dave

Archived