Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Computer audio interface, sample rate and live use

gliderproarc

I use a computer in my live rig. Currently I am using a m-audio Ozonic as my audio interface. This is an old Ozonic and I believe it has different audio hardware then the current ones going for $500 have. I really don't know, but I think the sample rate is 46 kHz. No idea if it is 16 or 24 bit.

I am going to be upgrading my rig sometime and I was thinking about getting a new audio interface. The Ozonic is just a hassle of a second keyboard. My options are:

Second keyboard controller + firewire audio interface

or

Novation Xiosynth

My main question is about the sample rate of the audio interface and it's affect on live playback. If I use a 24 bit 96 kHz audio interface, will it sound better live then a 24 bit 46 kHz one? Say I were running Ivory live, would you be able to tell just by listening if I was using a 46 kHz or 96 kHz audio interface?

In addition, if anybody has anything to say about the Xiosynth I would love to hear about it. I was amazed to find out neither Musician's friend nor zzounds carries it yet. Only sweetwater has them. $400 for 49 semi-weighted keys, audio interface, and 8 voice VA... not a bad deal.

GIGO

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

The Ozonic is 16 and 24 bit capable, with sample rates of 44.1, 48. 88.2 and 96 kHz. You have to select what bit depht / sample rate to use.

It is the same generation yet. There is no "new model".

And as Sven says, I guess none in the audience would tell any difference between 24/96 and 16 / 48, at concert volume.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Remember that 99% of the samples out there are 44.1KHz and either 16-bit or 24-bit--including Ivory. Will there be advantages to upsampling to a 96KHz? These are probably not audible (maybe in any environment, much less live). Plus it has to go through a realtime upsampling. This is going to, at the very least, double the CPU demands of a particular piece of software. If you are able to get Ivory to play without glitches at 44.1K I'll pretty much garrantee it will glitch at 96KHz.

Modeled synths such as Pro53, Minimonsta, MinimoogV, etc can benefit from the higher sample rate. I have heard this as an audible difference, but they don't sound bad at 44.1K.

The Novation controllers are excellent. I just got a Remote SL 61. The Xiosynth looks really nice.

Busch.

Wow, thanks guys. Great replies.

Sven, what about 192kHz? Same story? How high do you have to raise the sample rate until the average person CAN hear the difference?

Gus, That's odd. I checked in the software in my system prefs and 46 kHz is the only available sample rate. I also recall a price jump for the ozonic and I think it was due to an upgraded in the audio interface.

burningbusch, I have also heard allot of positive comments about novation gear. Any thoughts about their VA engines?

GIGO

Originally posted by gliderproarc:

Wow, thanks guys. Great replies.

Sven, what about 192kHz? Same story? How high do you have to raise the sample rate until the average person CAN hear the difference?

There won't be a discernible difference, if you're going up from 16 bit/44.1khz. The average person will only notice when you drop below that point.

Again, keep in mind that I'm referring to live, here. In the studio, or in an audiophile situation, all bets are off. ;)

Archived