Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Mental Conduction

daBowsa

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The James Randi Educational Foundation Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge

The money has not been given away. All you mental spoon benders, water dowsers, fortune tellers, whatever, can claim your money if you can really do what you claim under controlled conditions. (No one's even come close.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Any group of musicians that play together often (or not) could do this. Once the conductor heard what he wanted from the flutes (in this ex.) he could nod "yes" and the rest of the group would follow. Nothing Special.

I disagree that its not special... okay, its not some kind of magic its a really interesting experiment.

There are many explanations in my mind... they could have heard (often planted) subconcious snippets of Ode to Joy in their hotel lobby before they left, someones cell phone ringtone etc.... (I seem to recall Penn and Teller did something like that) they might have looked at their conductor and where he was looking and worked out the pieces that started with that group of instruments..

Still... its an interesting experiment... now I wonder what would have happened if the conductor had thought of some relatively unknown piece :)

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

The James Randi Educational Foundation Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge

The money has not been given away. All you mental spoon benders, water dowsers, fortune tellers, whatever, can claim your money if you can really do what you claim under controlled conditions. (No one's even come close.)

Buttt...

"Derren Brown [the presenter of the above clip] (born 27 February 1971) is an English psychological illusionist and skeptic of paranormal phenomena."

"Since the first broadcast of his Channel 4 television show Derren Brown: Mind Control in 2000 he has become increasingly well known for his "mind-reading" act. Derren Brown says he possesses no psychic ability and achieves his results by making use of psychological insights. Using his knowledge and skill he claims he is able to predict and influence people's thoughts with subtle suggestion, manipulate the decision making process and read the subtle physical signs or body language that indicate what a person is thinking."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derren_Brown

Archived