Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bit of warmth for Electro 73

whurly

I'm doing some live recording on the weekend and I'll be running my Electro through a very clean valve amp. Does anyone have any suggestions for reverb/delay/other effects that will round out the sound a bit?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Whurly,

I like to add a bit of overdrive to my real wurly via a Hot Cake pedal. But then again, that's through a JC-120. For my digital stuff, sometimes a good tube preamp helps (Speakeasy).

John

I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

I like the Boss Giga Delay pedal - I think it is the DD20. There are a few analog delay settings that give it a nice, crunchy echo - either subtle or extreme, depending on how you move the knobs.

Regards,

Eric

There are some lesser known boxes worth hearing if you can find them.

I have used a couple of Menatone overdrives on wurly. I especially like his "Top Boost in a Can" and "Blue Collar" pedals. They're kind of like AC30 and Fender amp sounding (respectively).

In addition, there are some really nice sounding pedals by DamageControl, also a little hard to find, but worth a listen.

Originally posted by whurly:

Thanks folks, I've been looking at the Hotcake but it's a bit expensive.

I got mine directly from Paul Crowther for $200. (you can order online, he even accepts paypal) The most difficult thing was finding him on the web - I'll track down his address if you're interested.
I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

Paul Crowther [croth@clear.net.nz] and yes $A198

and BTW he recommended a bluesberry version for my particular needs. Very helpful. I gather he then went out to the back shed and built it himself! Had that sort of feel about it anyhow:)

I like a Rat2 distortion pedal, with just a little drive and a lot of filter. I'm not real big on reverb. I like the sound dry, and with the Rat2 you get a real round, warm tone. Also sounds fantastic with clavinet. You get that really punchy clav sound like John Medeski (after all, John does use a Rat with his clav). It's also fun to occasionally kick the drive way up and rock hard.

Archived