Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Searching for the best monitor

jon from oz

O.K , I searched through this forum and the following recommendations for a stage monitors came up.

JBL eon G2

Yam stagepas 300

Traynor K4

Mackie SRM 450

Roland KC550

Are there any other options that would perform better than these ?

Not only for my sake , but I thought it might be nice to have a list in the one thread.

For me I am looking for something with enough guts to cut through with an eight pc blues band with horn section but have the clarity for solo piano pieces.A stereo set up might be nice too .

JDP

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would add Mesa-Boogie bass amps as an option. Expensive and heavy - a 4x10 cabinet weighs as much as a Kawai 9500 (96lbs for the 4x10 cabinet or 127lbs for the 4x10 in a roadcase cabinet according to the web site) but they sound real nice on keys.

Although this is not a "monitor" - its backline.

I was carting 2 huge Peavy BW speakers and a 200w powered desk to gigs and my back was starting to feel it. I found it was just me and the security still at the venue when everyone else had left. So I purchased a Laney 150w combo amp/wedge/monitor sounded great at the shop and at home but had bad mid range clarity when cranked at a gig. Somethig between these 2 options is what I am after.
JDP

Look at offerings from FBT, RCF. and Yorkville. They all make products that are supposed to be much better than Eon15/SRM 450 speakers.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

jon,

If by "monitor" you mean one that is pointed at you and away from the audience so that only YOU can hear what comes out of it, then the following would be my recommendation.

Why spend the cash on a Roland KC-550? Monitors don't need that kind of power. I use a Roland KC-150 as an on stage monitor while my Alesis Sumo 300 throws it out to the crowd (unless we put the keyboards through the mains at bigger gigs). The KC-150 does a very good job. It also works GREAT as a vocal monitor.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Thanks guys, Plenty to choose from now . I think the reason I am looking for a powerful unit is the other band members often complain that they can not hear me but don't want keys through thier vocal f.back. Plus the Laney 150 I have makes my X8 piano sound hurt at high volume . The

thing is it appears to me that ac piano sounds ( that I tend to use the most) suffer more than e.piano/organ/synth etc when you play them through less powerful gear . The Laney I have is the best vocal monitor I have used. Maybe I am just too fussy :)

JDP

Archived