Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need some advice about selling my MotifES.

RABid

While it sounds great, I hardly use my MotifES6. I don't play live anymore, I prefer a stick to a wheel, and my other keybords have 76 or 88 keys. That leaves my MotifES6 sitting around doing nothing. Selling it will give me a good start towards either a MacPro or a set of Adam monitors, the only two things I really need to finalize my bedroom studio.

My question is how best to sell my Motif, and what price? It is pretty mint with lots of options. Sampling memory is maxed, it has two expansions (PLG150AN and PLG150DX), smart media card, and the "Complete Perfection" library from Motifator which is 8 patch collections bundled together. Oh, I also have the three Motif DVD's, the MotifES DVD, and the PDF book "Commanding the Yamaha Motif".

Sould I sell this as a complete loaded MotifES6 or should I break it apart and sell the expansion stuff seperately? If I sell it as a bundle does anyone have a good suggested price? I'm really hoping to keep it as a "driving distance" transaction rather than shipping a keyboard.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it depends on what you want to do. If you want to quickly just be done with it, sell the whole shebang. You'll get more if you separate, but it could take time... maybe a lot of time before everything's sold.

Craigslist is very active for buying/selling musical gear here in the Portland/Seattle area, but there's a tradeoff in that the prices are generally a bit lower than Ebay. Don't know where you live. It is generally where I shop these days because of immediate gratification and being able to check things over in person.

I'm sure you're aware of the recent price drop on the Motif series retail, and unfortunately you're selling right into that. I don't know what they're going for right now used.

RABid:

If you're going to sell it at all, sell it NOW. Rumours of a New Yamaha workstation are about, and if you wait until it comes out, you'll take a big hit $$$.

Just because it "only has" 61 keys doesn't mean it's not a good workstation. Someone that wants to use it as a sequencer live OR in the studio doesn't need more than 61 keys. AND, it's more portable.

My back tells me what a pain it is to carry around my ES8, but I not only use the sequencer live, I use the 88 keys for live work too, so my back has to deal with it.

Check Ebay prices on what units have been selling for lately. It will only allow you to research the last 30 days, but that's a start.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Talking about those rumours (I so enjoy it when people spell these words the english way ;):P ) what were they?

I know its only speculative.. but I remember hearing something about integrated computer approach... this would seem to be something akin to the MIKO or even OASYS approach...

Its interesting to note that Steinbergs new version of Cubase has the Yamaha MOTIF samples in a plug in called Halion One.

Originally posted by soundscape:

Originally posted by orangefunk:

Its interesting to note that Steinbergs new version of Cubase has the Yamaha MOTIF samples in a plug in called Halion One.

:eek: Are they using Yamaha technology in the playback engine at all?
What great Motif playback engine are we talking about? I've got Cubase 4. Yes many of the sounds are familar. The synth stuff sounds better than the Motif IMO, sounds like much better filters. But then again Cubase comes with some nice VA synths and a Minimonsta is going to sound far better than a Motif synth. Some sounds in HalionOne do not sound as good as the Motif, but in general they're in the ballpark.

Robert, if you're of the mind to sell your Motif, I agree I'd do it now. It might be Winter NAMM or maybe not. Yamaha tends to put out things when they're ready, not timed to a show.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Originally posted by soundscape:

:eek: Are they using Yamaha technology in the playback engine at all?

What great Motif playback engine are we talking about? I've got Cubase 4. Yes many of the sounds are familar. The synth stuff sounds better than the Motif IMO, sounds like much better filters. But then again Cubase comes with some nice VA synths and a Minimonsta is going to sound far better than a Motif synth. Some sounds in HalionOne do not sound as good as the Motif, but in general they're in the ballpark.
Whatever engine they use, hopefully one that has somewhat better aliasing performance than Halion did in this (presumably somewhat out of date) test:

http://jeskola.net/xs1/test

Minimonsta, at least as far as I could tell from the demo version, appeared to have aliasing problems in relatively low registers, although the filters were better than most plug-ins. Maybe it's been updated by now.

I can almost guarantee you that a new workstation is coming from all three major vendors (if not also Kurzweil) at Winter NAMM. Unlike some other topics, I do not have inside information on this (if I did, I wouldn't even be throwing out hints) -- it's just a hunch based on the patterns I'm seeing with other product announcements and recent pricing changes.

You would have been better off selling it in August (probably a $300 difference, if not more, from selling it now). If you know for sure you want to sell it, do it ASAP (before Christmas especially).

You'll make a few hundred more by bastardising it. A fully loaded Motif won't add much to its value, as some customers might even be intimidated by the presence of extras and everyone has their oen needs and wants.

The PLG150-AN card has had a bit of a resurgence lately, as more and more people are becoming aware that it might just be one of the best VA's ever, if not the best (actually, they refer to it as "analog modeling" just as Alesis does with the Ion/Micron, as they phsyically modeled an analog synth vs. designing a modern digital synth that emulates analog functions). It took awhile to catch on, as most people at first didn't realise what it could do. But more and more people are becoming familiar with its creamy Prophet-like sound and filters, and its amazing Free EG feature.

The DX card is less popular as Yamaha for some reason chose to cripple it rather than present a more powerful later version of the DX technology or even a plug-in version of the SY77 or FS1r. It's still a handy card to have for quick/accessible basic FM sounds for a workstation user who wants to sprinkle those sounds into split keyboard and layered setups now and then. But even though its list price is higher, it doesn't fetch as much used as the AN board (which often goes for around $200).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Originally posted by Mark Schmieder:

I can almost guarantee you that a new workstation is coming from all three major vendors (if not also Kurzweil) at Winter NAMM. Unlike some other topics, I do not have inside information on this (if I did, I wouldn't even be throwing out hints) -- it's just a hunch based on the patterns I'm seeing with other product announcements and recent pricing changes.

I really hope so.... :D

Archived