Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha "Graded Hammer Standard" vs. "Graded Hammer Effect" Question

Erin

Hi, does anyone on the forum know anything about the Yamaha YDP213 or YDP323? I was looking between those two or the YDP223 and ultimately decided on the YDP213 as it was the least expensive of the three, and I didn't feel I needed the extra voices or power of the others. However, I only tested the 223 and 323 in the store. When I got the YDP213 home and set it up, I was disappointed to realize the keys felt different than the ones I tested in the store. The keys seem to "bounce" when they hit the bottom or when they are released.

After reading deeper, the Yamaha page states the YDP213 uses the new Graded Hammer Standard keyboard and the YDP323 uses the Graded Hammer Effect Keyboard. Yet both say "GH keyboard" on their specs page. A call to Yamaha informed me that the Graded Hammer Standard uses cheaper parts than the Graded Hammer Effect.

Has anyone looked at these keyboards in the store or know if they really do have different keyboards? If I return the 213, can someone give me a good reason for the 223 over the 323?

Thanks,

Erin

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's marketing for ya.

If you don't like the touch, take it back, now.

And I'll bet you won't again buy a keyboard you haven't played, even if the salesman, or even the box, assures you that they're the same.

regards,

--kwgm

The YDP 223 and 323 use the more expensive Graded Hammer Effect keyboard. The 213 is not the same keyboard, it's the less expensive Graded Hammer Standard. The sound samples are also different. The 223 is the top of the line with better wood cabinetry, three layered samples and 14 voices as well as a two track one song recorder. The 323/213 have single layered samples.

The 213 uses the less expensive Graded Hammer Standard keyboard. The MSRP is $999.99. The 223 ($1895)has more expensive wood and a Graded Hammer Effect keyboard. The Graded Hammer Standard keyboard uses less expensive parts. The Graded Hammer Effect keyboard uses more expensive parts, and mimics the feel of a real Grand Piano, the action starts out heavy then gets lighter as you play up the keyboard. The 323 lists for 1599. These keyboards and keyboards in general are like cars. The more you spend the more features you get. There are no shortcuts, you aren't getting the expensive features on the least expensive model.

Originally posted by soundscape:

Is this actually a 'desirable' feature, or just an artefact of traditional piano construction that's now being sold as a 'feature' on electronic keyboards?

That is the question.
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by JohnH:

The Graded Hammer Standard keyboard uses less expensive parts and the keybed is weighted the same across the keyboard.

I don't believe that's correct John. The keybed that is the same weight across all keys is the "Balanced Hammer", as found in the S90ES for example.

Both the Graded Hammer Standard and Graded Hammer Effect are heavier at the bass and lighter at the treble...hence the word "Graded".

Damian

You are right Damian. I just checked that out. I think what was confusing me is, the GHS uses less expensive parts that are lighter than the GHE, that is why you pay more for GHE keyboards. The GHS is noticebly clunkier and noisier than the GHE, but yes it is still graded.

John

Archived