Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone do the "dueling pianos" thing?

Ed Coury

I've always been curious about the dueling piano bar acts. Never seen them in person, but have heard about them -- the comedy, wacky songs, etc.

Does anyone here do this? Are the wacky off-color songs "standard", or does it vary from bar to bar and act to act?

Are there charts for this type of thing? Sounds like a lot of fun for a player with a secret desire to do comedy :-)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seen one in Myrtle Beach a while back. I thought it would be kinda cool to do but I think it takes a certain type of "stage personality" to pull it off well. I think for one you need to be a little cocky and full of yourself. I did enjoy watching it from a players perspective though!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I did it for four years while in medical school. The off-color and audience participation stuff was pretty scripted. The club had been open for about five years when I started there, so there was a pretty good repertoire of established material, and the owners owned some other clubs in different parts of the country and would import players/material from them. We also all tried to write new material and parody stuff as much as we could.

I've done some more "prestigious" gigs, but this was incredibly lucrative vs time put into it, and it was genuinely a lot of fun. Probably the only gig I've ever done where I could literally play anything that came into my head at any time, no matter how ridiculous, and have it go over if I could sell it. It also made an enormous difference for me in my ability to interact with a crowd, and also in my ability to put a high-energy tune across convincingly with just piano and vocals.

Archived