Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

light ROMpler with aftertouch?

Milt

Ok, so I've played a few more gigs with my ultra-light setup (Electro + E-mu Xboard controlling a Roland XV-2020). It works well and beats carrying a Fantom X6 and/or stage piano when I just want to play a 45-minute set and get out of there.

Only problem is, the XV-2020 is getting on my nerves. I hate the fact that every patch I use has to be programmed and saved in advance - sometimes I might want to tweak a sound on-the-fly (apart from cutoff/resonance/ADSR which I've set up), bring in a pad when something is sounding too sparse, double a part that the guitarist is playing, etc.

So... I'm thinking of finding a very light rompler to replace it. It needs to be cheap (I won't be using it for any important gigs) and shouldn't weight more than 15lbs. Sound-wise, I need a decent piano that sits well in the mix (no solo piano stuff) and the usual assortment of synth leads, pads and strings. Aftertouch is important - I rarely have a free hand for the modulation wheel and the Electro pedals tie up my feet. My shortlist is:

Yamaha S30

Roland XP30

Korg N5EX

Korg Triton 61LE

Does anyone have any experience with these keyboards? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Milt

By the way, if you're in the UK, I can't recommend this cheapo made-in-China stand highly enough. It's as solid as any other two-tier X-stand I've tried, weighs about 2.5 Kg and it all folds into that little bag. It's not about to replace my Apex, but it really does the job for small gigs.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This comes down to some personal, subjective opinion. And in my humble one, I'd say that I can't stand the onboard sounds of either the XP30 or the N5EX, especially the sounds you mention.

Other people may feel differently.

- Jeff

Hey, thanks for the advice guys!

Also consider the Kurzweil KME61
I absolutely love every Kurzweil keyboard I've played in the past. However, they're always really expensive in the U.K. and never seem to come up in the second-hand market. I've yet to see a KME61 for less than £500 (around 950 USD). With a bit of luck, I can get any of the other keyboards (except for the Triton LE) for less than half that.

don't forget the Alesis QS6.2
That's a thought... I need to try one first. I haven't used any Alesis romplers since the original QS6.

EMU had a series of inexpensive, lightweight rompler boards
I assume you mean the different flavours of Proteus + keyboard. I played the Mo Phatt a while ago and I remember it was heftier than it looked. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I'd vote for the N5EX.
I'm leaning that way myself. Either that or the Yamaha S30 - I've found both of them second-hand for the same (good) price. I'm probably going to pass on the XP30. I'm keeping the XV2020, so I'm all set for JV/XV-type sounds.

Anyone have any experience with the S30? I quite like the S-series sounds so it's a definite option.

Many thanks,

Milt

from the list, I'd go with the Triton LE - it has the most recent soundset, and it's lightweight (if I recall correctly, the S-30 is around 10kg, and LE-61 is 7-8 kg).

BTW, Korg has released a new ROMpler, with Triton sounds, no sequencer, and amazing 4.5 kg (~10 lbs)!!! - it might be just what u want, check it out.

I had an experience with S-03 and I'd say it's way lower class than Triton family. Of course, S-30 is entirely different, it's the S80 in light body, BUT it's realy old synth, been out of production forever, has a small display. BUT - it's got sliders!

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I ended up getting the N5EX in the end - I'm just waiting for it to arrive in the post. My first choice was the LE61 (or TR61), but I couldn't find it for anywhere near the same price and I couldn't justify the extra cost for something that won't be part of my main setup.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I'll let you know how it goes!

Archived