Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reverb, Which one sounds good to you?

Still Learning

I'm learning that PBS Civil War theme song by Jay Ungar: ashokan farewell and I'm layering strings, piano, and guitar on my Fantom X8.

This song just screams reverb (it really is a haunting folk song) and I'm experimenting with different settings of reverb. When you really listen closely, reverb is a really powerful effect, as I'm sure you guys know better than I ever will.

I've found some good articles on reverb at Sound on Sound's web site advanced reverb 1 and advanced reverb 2 and other sites but I'd be interested in knowing what inboard or outboard gear you guys have found over the years that give you that killer reverb sound that you love, and what setting you use.

When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still Learning, as you may have gathered in reading up on reverb in SOS, it is like a spice, use to taste.

More often than not, most people use too much of it.

The onboard reverb in most synths should be enough to accomplish the effect you desire for the track you're doing.

Otherwise, a true outboard unit i.e. Lexicon (most popular reverb), Yamaha SPX series, TC Electronics, Alesis, Digitech, etc.

Setting-wise, I would start with the programs in your synth and tweak them accordingly, starting with the room size, decay and reflection.

If you cannot get the desired results from your synth, look for a dedicated reverb unit, new or used. More parameters to adjust. Good luck.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by ProfD:

If you cannot get the desired results from your synth, look for a dedicated reverb unit, new or used. More parameters to adjust. Good luck.

http://tinytim.org/photo/images/lwf0009.jpg

Take a cue from Tiny Tim.

Try a bathtub for a dedicated reverb... great, natural reverb and lots of parameters to adjust. ;)

OK. Yeah, I know...

Oh Bruttah. :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Thanks ProfD, I'm having fun with the intricacy of the reverb settings on my Fantom. I'll check out Lexicon's offerings.

Gas...I was just leaving for lunch and looking at that shot of T. Tim made me loose my Appetite ;)

When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

Archived