Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RD700SX Rhythm sets upgrade

jazzfish

Hi guys...

Just curious, I understand the RD700SX has less rhythm sets than the RD700 and excludes those intros and outros.

Is there any way to add rhythm sets via SRX cards etc?

Not imperative to me but would be a nice addition esp since its something ROLAND omitted in the SX.

Thanks guys

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you say "rhytm sets" you mean drum sets or rhytm patterns? I am asking because it makes a world of difference: for example, you can add 24 new drum sets buying the SRX-01 card, called "Dynamic Drum Kits" (click here for more details and also for a demo); you can find 10 more rhytm sets in the SRX-07 (Ultimate Keys) and SRX-10 (World Collection) cards.

On the other hand, if you are looking for rhytm patterns, your only choice could be the SRX-08 (Platinum Trax), which has rhytm loops taken from the Techno, Hip hop and House JV cards: you haven't much variety there, but at least they are rhytm patterns.

Click here for more details and also demo's of these cards.

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

in case he meant rhythm patterns, the Rd700sx has 185

The Rd700 has much less

Of course they had intros/outros which was nice but not a dealbreaker

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

in case he meant rhythm patterns, the Rd700sx has 185

The Rd700 has much less

Of course they had intros/outros which was nice but not a dealbreaker

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Not only does the RD700 have the intros and outros, the patterns are also longer with more detail and there's an A and B version of each pattern. Also, the RD700 has a dedicated volume control for rhythm. For some genres like jazz the longer patterns are critical. On the RD700SX all rhythms are simple two bar patterns where on the RD700 they are up to 16 measures (as I recall).

I own nearly all the SRX cards and none of them add to the rhythm patterns on the RD700SX--I don't know that there are capable of adding new patterns.

You can bring in MIDI patterns. The RD700SX has about 1MB of storage area which can store SMF and/or SETUPs. That's your best bet.

Also, Roland has a little rhythm machine called the DR-3 which has some nice jazz and related patterns. It sells for less than $200. Take a look it.

Busch.

Originally posted by Tony Bennett:

Regarding Roland drum machines. How realistic is the sound? ...

To me, Yamaha and Korg drum kits sound more like what you hear on records. Roland drum kits sound more like what you hear when you sit down and play a drum set. Because of this a lot of drummers prefer Roland and a lot of non-drummers prefer Yamaha or Korg.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Tony Bennett:

Regarding Roland drum machines. How realistic is the sound? They have some samples on their web site, but its a bunch of look at me stuff. Can a person get a realistic brush sound out of such a machine?

I don't recall the brush set in particular. What I'm saying is that if someone likes the rhythm capabilities of the RD700 and wants that with the SX or any other keyboard, the DR-3 is an alternative.

Busch.

My reason for asking is that Im starting a new recording next week. This is my second go round and plan on going a bit more solo. I actually own several nice Slingerland sets, but am not a great player, plus recording drums can be difficult. I guess Im curious is a drum machine is a good option? Or is the sound just blatantly electronic?

Option A: Try playing the real thing myself first.

Option B: Have a real drummer come over.

Option C: Technology is my friend.

TB, since you play drums, I would try a little bit of options A, B and C.

Option A--Play the real thing, record and sample it.

Option B--Have your friend play a variety of drum patterns, record and sample it.

Otherwise, when it comes to programming a drum machine, it is all about choosing the right sounds that make up your "kit" and how you program it.

If you are going for that "electronic" drum sound, then of course, heavy quantization and 808, 909, Procussion, etc. types of drum sounds work.

OTOH, if you want it to sound like a real drummer, use the acoustic drum samples. Program the drum machine with very little or no quantization.

Try a little of all 3! Good luck.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived