Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage76-Synth,stand and case ?

saucyjack

Ok looks like I've got a Stage76 on the way.

I've played the Electro so I'm pretty sure I will like the Rhodes,Organs and even Pianos but would love to hear more about the Synth section.

What's it's strengths and/or weaknesses?

I'll be gigging with the Stage and will need a adjustable stand(Will probably be playing both standing,with a guitar and sitting).

I need a good lightweight but solid stand that doesn't take up a lot of real estate....??

Lastly, anyone recommend a decent gig bag/semi-hard case for the Stage 76?(almost all Intown gigs).

I'll already be hauling Guitars,Amp,pedalboards so my emphasis with the stand and bag are on portability and ease of setup.

Thanks

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know much about the strengths/weaknesses of the synth section of the Nord Stage.

Stand-wise, check out Quik-Lok. I'm surprised your salesman didn't thrown a stand in the deal.

While your gigs are in town, you'll need a semi-hard case just because...you are carrying other stuff. ;)

Check out Gator cases. Also, you can look at the ATA rated cases on Ebay. A few companies make them but YMMV.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Stage 76 gig bag will not be shipping until Oct. according to Nord USA. Their current recommendation is Gator.

I have the factory leg set but that won't do you any good if you want to stand up.

The synth is darn nice IMO. It covers nicely the "80's analog synth pad / string synth" sonic niche occupied by Prophet 5, Juno 106 and Korg Poly 6. It doesn't have the amazing creaminess of a Jupiter 8, but then again it sounds better than an OB-8 I played recently.

You have 2 synth engines available that can be mapped in splits or layers to make it larger sounding. It's not a matrix modulation monster, but it makes better use of 14 knobs plus a few switches than any synth I've ever seen. The two envelopes are fast and snappy, and the 2 pole filter is a favorite of mine. There is no audible stepping when I sweep the filter pot, and the high resonance sounds good if a little polite.

You can bring in up to 9 extra oscillators in unison just by twisting a single knob for fatness, without reducing polyphony.

The FM synthesis section and wavetables add to the spice, and by layering a VA sound with a wavetable or FM sound, you can approach D-50ish territory.

Moe

---

Hey mate_stubb,

What is your opinion of the MIDI controller functions on the Stage? Would it be good for controlling another synth and several modules? I have a K2600, which has excellent MIDI controller functions (e.g., program select, layers, split points, initial volume settings, fully assignable/programmable wheels, sliders, pedals, etc.)......but I am developing some severe GAS for this axe! At first I was skeptical because of a few disfavorable accounts I read regarding the Stages' grand pianos..... However, after playing them, they are quite lovely! Then I was doubtful of the synth section......but you have just squelched that negativity in the present thread. As such, the only remaining critical issue is the MIDI controller functions. So.......what do you say? Can you save me from a $3K GAS attack? Thanks!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

My take on controller functions is, that the Stage will do a decent job of controlling 1 or 2 external modules.

For up to 2 modules, it can save keyboard range, transpose, program change, bank select, initial volume, and one CC to transmit per program. It can turn mod wheel and pitch bend on or off. The midi channel to transmit on for each module appears to be global however, so if you want complex multitimbral behavior from a single module, it won't happen.

There is also a knob to let you transmit volume, CC, or program change in real time.

Moe

---

For stands, look for a used Invisible 2-tier (they don't make 'em anymore).

For a case, I can recommend ProTec . If you've got time to kill, you can special order for exact dimensions (they don't have pre-builts for the Clavia stuff).

Both the Invisible and the ProTec are light to travel, but roady-worthy in most reasonable tour conditions.

Archived