Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another reason to love Steely Dan

Dave Bryce

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/79/Dupreeposter.jpg/200px-Dupreeposter.jpg

Cousin Dupree

Too funny. Thanks dB. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Marzzz:

Very funny, but oh so bugus......!

Do you mean "bogus"? If you mean that the content itself was fabricated, it in fact appears on the official Steely Dan website. Now, since it is an "open letter" it was likely never mailed, but it's hilarious and legit.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Yep, if you have ever seen or heard interviews with these cats, it definitely fits their style. Keep pushing SD! :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

So, what exactly is their point?

Is their career so "over" that they need a lawsuit related to a successful movie to get their name back in the news?

I like Steely Dan's music, but that's a stupid letter.

Originally posted by steadyb:

So, what exactly is their point?

Is their career so "over" that they need a lawsuit related to a successful movie to get their name back in the news?

I like Steely Dan's music, but that's a stupid letter.

steadyb...

No worries - don't take the letter seriously. Walt does this all the time. If you read some of the other things that he's written (posted on the site), you'll see that this is characteristically tounge-in-cheek and very much Walt. You have to kinda get in his mind to understand his (dryest of dry) humor.

Remember - ANY publicity is good publicity. You don't really think that Donald and Walt are sweatin' this, do ya? :)

It's all in good fun. Even FOX picked up the story. :eek: (Not that I'm a fan of FOX.) :rolleyes:

CLONK HERE

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

When you know the history behind SD, the quirkiness of Walter & Don specifically, they would produce such a letter :cool:

I don't think they are really seeking legal retribution. But, I can imagine their motivation behind it being cool old hippies and all ;)

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

No worries - don't take the letter seriously. Walt does this all the time. If you read some of the other things that he's written (posted on the site), you'll see that this is characteristically tounge-in-cheek and very much Walt. You have to kinda get in his mind to understand his (dryest of dry) humor.

Well, I'm not familiar with other things he's written, so I will take your word for it.

What's next, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant claiming any movie with the word "love" in it, ripped off "Whole Lotta Love"? :rolleyes:;)

Is Simon and Garfunkel going after anyone who was in "The Bridge on the River Kwai", "Over the Hedge", "Big Trouble in Little China", "Like Water for Chocolate" ??? :eek::P:idea:

Perhaps the Disney estate will go after Walt's parents for stealing his name...

Steady, Its ALL a big joke. These are the guys who "spammed" the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for something like 5 years before they were inducted and then put up a scathing mock-ebay auction of their trophy when they finally were inducted. That's who these guys are. That's pretty much what they're music is too...the two guys in class that are "too cool for school" making fun of everything. They really are a couple of geeks...and I love them because they haven't changed at all.

What I love is that there are some people online who are TOTALLY taking this seriously (not saying that about you Stead). I saw a blog comment where someone went off on a rant about how Skunk Baxter is in the band and he's a big neo-con and that this sound like the chickenhawk rantings of mean republicans. Seriously...this person was serious. Apparently they don't know that Don and Walt are huge liberals and that Skunk hasn't been in the band in 20 YEARS! (And its this reaction that is probably EXACTLY what D&W were looking for. You know they are loving this.)

Long live The Dan.

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

Originally posted by Ed Coury:

Originally posted by Marzzz:

Very funny, but oh so bugus......!

Do you mean "bogus"? If you mean that the content itself was fabricated, it in fact appears on the official Steely Dan website. Now, since it is an "open letter" it was likely never mailed, but it's hilarious and legit.
Well, I am chastened, I am completely wrong and you are absolutely correct!

:eek:

That's what I get for not fact checking- it just seemed that in normal circumstances a band's lawyers would just take care of something like this, etc., etc., etc. Obviously I don't know from Steely Dan (though I CAN play the opening guitar solo from "Don't Take Me Alive!")!

Archived