Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

logic express or live

whatdoitype

im using garageband right now because im cheap, but i want to upgrade to some faster, more professional software. im not sure if i want live or logic express. i thought logic express might be a good idea because im using garageband right now and thought i might be a little more familiar with it. im not sure if it is compatible with any type of plugin (is garageband compatible with plugins?) or if i can use a DAW controller with it (can i use icontrol with it) but i thought it might be something to look into. i also was thinking of getting live because it was one of the cheaper and more popular applications, so i thought it might be something that would come in handy. im thinking about getting an icontrol for garageband if i decide to stay with it for a while. does anybody own/have knowledge on these?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't used Live but I have Logic Pro.

The big advantage to Logic (Express or Pro) is that anything you created in Garageband will load right up with the same effects and instruments etc.

I use the Behringer BCF2000 with motorized faders to control Logic (and Reason 3) because it's cheap and tons of people use it so the net has good info on it.

But you have to ask yourself the real question: Have you outgrown Garageband? Is there something you absolutely need to take your recording to a new level? Are you out of tracks?

Originally posted by whatdoitype?:

idrum is good for an upgrade to garageband? any jampacks that you suggest? can you run AU plugins in garageband?

iDrum is good as long as you're only doing music in 4/4 time. GB can indeed host all AU plugins.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I would say the major improvement from Garargeband to Logic express id the Interface and MIDI control. Garargebanders have very little control over their midi performances and can't automate much more then track volume and panning. Logic express lets you automate just about anything, even tempo. I haven't had allot of experience with Live, but I understand it is more meant for live performance then studio work. I imagine it can do both, but it really shines in a 'live' setting.

Logic express pros:

Import your Garageband songs directly.

Improved midi control

A user interface that is extremely customizable and intuitive

AU plug-in support

Only 700$ to upgrade to Logic pro!

cons:

Includes limited sound library.

Live pros:

Unique 'scene' looping feature that makes Live one of the coolest live performance tools I have ever seen.

VST, AU plug-in support.

Full version not as expensive as Logic pro

Many excellent audio plug-in's for sound mangling.

Cons:

I cannot expound too much here as I have not used the program enough to know what I don't like about it.

Well that kinda given you an idea. I personally just upgraded from Garageband to Logic express. I too was faced with the Live or Logic dilemma. I chose Logic express because I figured it was more studio recording oriented then Live, which I think is more of a performance tool. Logic has given the ease of Garageband composing, with the added flexibility of Logic's UI. The Synths that ship with Logic express are excellent. I would love to rant on and on about how good Logic express is, but I'll let someone give Live a good rep first. I think my limited knowledge hardly does this excellent program justice.

GIGO

Let me step in here and say that you might find going from GB to anything a BIG step. Apple really REALLY simplified things to create GB. That's not a rip on GB by any means. In fact, what they've done is really cool. But there is a reason it doesn't have MIDI out...

I like to think that I'm no dummy, but damned if every time I've tried Logic I was lost. I know it's just the basics that I've got to get, and "someday" I will make the effort to learn it. In the meantime, GB suits me quite well for the few things I do.

An appropriate question is "what do you do now with GB, and what do you want to do?" This will help determine whether you should move up and if so, to what. If the only issue you have with GB right now is speed (how fast it runs on your hardware), I'm not sure any other program will be much better.

The Logic Express demo linked by kanker is a good way to see if it will suit your needs.

Good luck and have fun!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That's what I was trying to reinforce too Joe, if they are looking for a new "play toy" or really need a program to meet their needs.

I know Logic Pro was overkill for me but I really didn't want to hit any artifical roadblocks created by software after getting mad at Pro Tools LE. I also liked some of the additional plugins and features that came with it.

But HONESTLY when it comes to something like Final Cut Pro sure it's great brilliant industry standard but I still break out adobe premier 4.2 on windows 98 and hack out videos on that because I REALLY like the way it works and am comfortable with it

Yeah, it's like iMovie vs FCE/PCP - similar at the core based on the technology used, but the interfaces are so different it's hard to justify for some. You really have to have the need to make the jump. And, I've seen experts blown away by what you can do with GB/iMovie.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

if i get logic express can i use it on two computers? im thinking about getting a mac mini because they are more powerful than macbooks for a better price. but that would be hard to bring everything (the usb hub, monitor etc) to shows so i would want it to run on two computers (an ibook and a mini) and transfer the files via a flash drive. will it let me instll it on two of my computers?

if i get logic express can i use it on two computers? im thinking about getting a mac mini because they are more powerful than macbooks for a better price. but that would be hard to bring everything (the usb hub, monitor etc) to shows so i would want it to run on two computers (an ibook and a mini) and transfer the files via a flash drive. will it let me instll it on two of my computers?

Logic Express uses a serial number instead of an XSKey (LogicPro), and you can install it on more than one computer. Just have the serial number handy the first time you launch it on a particular computer.

as a live user i can give you some insight into it. as a comparison, i do not use logic, but have used cubase and other DAWs in the past.

though live is not entirely set up as a traditional DAW, it is functional as one. its strengths lie in the fast workflow for instanciating VSTs and mapping MIDI controls, numerous excellent plug ins and instruments it comes with, and its session view, which is the `live` component of live.

since the early versions the program has started leaning more in the direction of the standard DAW, but it still contains a one of a kind live performance and idea providing worklflow.

really its all about your goals and how you work, personally. if you like to lay everything out carefully from the get go you will use the arrange view in live which is very similar to a standard DAW like logic. if you like to mess around with various permutations and loops while recording then you would be using session view, which is sort of like a spreadsheet of sounds. this approach gives you a substantial amount of freedom to then move your recorded moves over into arrange view.

you can get the live lite versions bundled with various pieces of hardware, which can save you some money, and the new version is indeed slated to come out very soon.

i would do as posted above and download the demos of both apps, testing for performance on your machine and how you like to work. then take the plunge!

whatdoitype, I am an active Live user and I would have to say it is a very powerful piece of software. Apparently the new version coming out (Live 6), allows even racks of instruments. It is my VST host, DAW, and loop machine. Even the looping capabilities are not the usual. You are able to stretch a loop to make it fit a desired time. It is easy to realign the time on multiple loops either to handle latency problems or even to just mix with loops that come from a different source. I'm even using Live as my VST host with layers and splits. As a DAW, it is a lot simpler interface than the typical DAW.

I don't have Logic and I played with Garageband at the Apple Store so I'm not an expert to do a comparison. However, the idea of first playing with your arrangement by treating individual sounds as loops (arrangement view) allows you to play with various combinations. It was fairly easy to do professional sounding recordings.

I can't wait to get to Live 6 because of progress made on the VST front. There's also tons of software effects built in.

I'd say Live is the new thing. I recommend it highly.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

There was a discussion a while back in one of the studio forums that might be helpful. The "nuggets-o-knowledge" I remember from it are:

° ProTools is an industry standard for recording studios, but it's not a good tool for MIDI,

° LogicPro is excellent for MIDI work, but the UI is not very intuitive.

Personally I use GB at home (because I'm cheap and it came with the computer :P ). I haven't figured out how to automate panning yet, so gliderproarc is one up on me there. (I've made due by making duplicate tracks, one panned L the other R, and then carefully programming the volumes on each track so that one rises while the other falls, etc.)

I took a music technology class and we learned Digital Performer and Finale. You don't understand what you're missing in GB until you see what you can do in DP. Finale's strength is in providing professional music in print (sheet music).

uselesstomorrow, one thing I noticed between Logic Express and Pro is the support for 5.1 sound. I think you need Pro to create a 5.1 disc you can play on your home theater system, whereas Express only gives you stereo. Might be a good investment with all the digital camcorders running around these days.

thanks for all the help on this. is live good for making folk or indie type music? the music i make right now is all different types and i dont want to be stuck with something thats good for only making one type of music.

I use Live for Jazz (swing or ballad). It is well used in Electronica. It should work for everything.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

That could be very possible about the surround sound. I know Express you lose some instruments and some plug ins.

I have pro tools 7 LE and hate it. Logic is so much more powerfull and midi is WAY WAY better in logic.

i am also an apple freak though so keep that in mind. i feel logic is tuned better for my hardware setup AND it works with my firepod while protools doesn't really work with it.

RicBassGuy, to automate panning in GB, just click on the little arrow on the track, and then on the 'track volume' to pull down a sub-menu where you will find track panning.

I certainly agree that Logic's strength lies in it's MIDI control. Which brings me to why I was so happy to use Logic express for now, Logic express has the same MIDI functions as Logic pro! The main benefits of Logic pro are the lovely plug-ins and distributed audio processing. But the UI and MIDI editing remain unchanged.

GIGO

Archived