Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Difficult Decision: sell Yamaha U3 Upright, go Digital

Song80s

I have had a U3 in the living room of my townhouse for almost 2 years.

(There was no way to squeeze a 5'6" grand into my small living space).

The U3 made a lot of sense due to its 52 inch string size and big , bright sound. Plus it is a well made,quality instrument:

http://www.besbrodepianos.co.uk/showroom/showroom745.htm

However, I am tuning it 3 times per year and even more this year. Our weather in Northern California has varied alot from winter to instant summer. And its difficult to regulate my ground floor living room. It varies from 65 degrees to 80 in the summer. And when it goes sharp, I feel like I am fighting it and it isn't as enjoyable to play- and then my Rd700sx ( which is upstairs) sounds so much nicer.

The tunings are $330- 440 per year. I would not consider doing it myself.

I am ready to give up on the U3 and get a S90ES or Kawai ES4. I don't have plans to gig.

Does this change sound crazy ?

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have an acoustic piano, the rule of thumb is to have it tuned twice a year, right? You are having yours tuned 3-4 times per year. At $110 per tuning, you're spending an extra $220/year. That's not too much more, in my opinion.

I'd keep the piano and consider buying a dehumidifier. Can't you regulate the heating/cooling a little better? Do you have air conditioning? I ask because you may not need it in Northern California.

I know you love the acoustic piano. I hate to see you give it up because I don't believe you can replicate the experience with any digital keyboard on the market today.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Greg:

I'm going to the other side.

I started with an old upright, my wife inherited some money and we bought a Yamaha G2E (5'9" grand) which I loved. Tuning wasn't too bad, but it needed voicing and regulating - expensive. The biggest "but" was recording an acoustic piano which is extremely difficult to do well. And costly - mikes run a few thousand each and it takes at least two. Then there is the small problem of room acoustics to worry about.

I finally went digital (I'm on my third, the first was a top of the line Technics in 1990, then two Rolands). My current model is a KR7 which has fine piano sound plus just about every other sound one needs. I also use the built-in rhythms, some of which are quite good.

If I was going to change, I'd get a high end keyboard with weighted touch, but it would be digital because they are so easy to record without picking up the sound of fire trucks.

Tuning is quite cheap, and I have the choice of half a dozen different temperaments if I wish, and with a set of headphones I can play loud all night.

Glenn K

PS - a digital piano is a different instrument, and as such it requires some time to learn how to handle. The more pricey ones (such as mine) have "string resonance" which helps a lot. I can also adjust the amount of "hammer noise" that is in the sound.

hey tom, thx for the advice. Fortunately, we have low humidity in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I do have A/c, and crank it when it is consistently high 80's/ 90's outside.

My tuner says it is a difficult year for keeping acoustic pianos in tune- he has stressed keeping the temperature 'regular' in the living room. Unfortunately that room has the main entrance, thus the cooling, then heating effect. And the living room is all I have for an acoustic piano.

My windows are original, not bad, but not the latest double pane windows.

I will have my tuner over and see what he suggests. He says tuning the U3 is a pleasure, especially compared to many Steinways. The U3 sounds great after a tuning.

You are right, I love acoustic piano. And it has strengthened my technique. A top quality digital

would be a trade off.

I won't make a move until after the next tuning

[70's Songwriter]

I love my U3 and to me it sounds better than any digital I have tried ,even when it is out of tune. It has not had a tuning for 2yrs and we are moving house in 2 weeks so I can't wait to have it sounding like it should. Both tuning and moving can be expensive but at least an ac piano should not depreciate in value.
JDP

GregC, maybe just moving the piano a foot or two further away from the outside wall may make a huge difference allowing the wall to have some convection air current action taking place. If your piano is close to the outside wall, any heat moving up from the bottom will get trapped under the piano. I know...the room will warm up any way you look at it. But the rate of change on the piano should change with a move like that.

Tinting on the windows in the room might help a bunch.

I'm unclear GregC. You already have a digital (an RD700Sx as you said). So what is to be gained by getting another digital?

It truly is a tough decision. I also have an acoustic piano that I plan to get rid of. A different reason though. Mine doesn't sound good and I'd like to sell it now with the idea of buying a nicer piano later on.

I'm in SoCal, near the beach, and the house also has A/C so it is perfect for an acoustic. Tuning once a year is sufficient. I wish I had a U3 instead of what I have now.

So to keep up my skills, my intent is to always have a good digital (I have an S90ES) and then a good acoustic, like a U3. I'm not sure I'd just stick to digital because there are some things you cannot duplicate exactly.

I tend to play on my digital more, but mostly it is because of sound quality. A U3 has a wonderful sound and maybe you can prevent some of your problems with the advice given by others. I would personally be reluctant to sell it.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

I know you love the acoustic piano. I hate to see you give it up because I don't believe you can replicate the experience with any digital keyboard on the market today.

I agree 100% There's nothing like the real thing. Some of the softsynths sound very good but nothing matches the real thing.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by jon from oz:

I love my U3 and to me it sounds better than any digital I have tried ,even when it is out of tune. It has not had a tuning for 2yrs and we are moving house in 2 weeks so I can't wait to have it sounding like it should. Both tuning and moving can be expensive but at least an ac piano should not depreciate in value.

Hey jon, cool to hear from a U3 owner down under.

My U3 ( built in 1979) sounds bright, but not as bright as U3's built in the 90's. Plus I have hardwood floors and high ceilings- which exaggerates the brightness. I have pillows behind the piano that slightly muffles the sound

The middle 4 octaves of the U3 drifts sharp. So the bass strings are in tune but out of tune with the rest of piano

when I bought and moved my U3, I had to let it ' settle ' for 3 weeks. it took 2 tunings , 2 months apart to get it right

[70's Songwriter]

clav, that is excellent advice. Moving the piano a foot off the wall is easy Tinting the windows will not be expensive.

Originally posted by Jazzwee:

I'm unclear GregC. You already have a digital (an RD700Sx as you said). So what is to be gained by getting another digital?

It truly is a tough decision. I also have an acoustic piano that I plan to get rid of. A different reason though. Mine doesn't sound good and I'd like to sell it now with the idea of buying a nicer piano later on.

I'm in SoCal, near the beach, and the house also has A/C so it is perfect for an acoustic. Tuning once a year is sufficient. I wish I had a U3 instead of what I have now.

So to keep up my skills, my intent is to always have a good digital (I have an S90ES) and then a good acoustic, like a U3. I'm not sure I'd just stick to digital because there are some things you cannot duplicate exactly.

I tend to play on my digital more, but mostly it is because of sound quality. A U3 has a wonderful sound and maybe you can prevent some of your problems with the advice given by others. I would personally be reluctant to sell it.

Good points, jazz. a 2nd digital does sound impractical. My rig (Rd700sx, Triton Classic 61, Extreme 76) is in the office/2nd bedroom upstairs in my townhouse.

When my girlfriend is reading upstairs or watching TV in the office, I like having a music retreat downstairs in the living room.

When we have friends/family over, I enjoy playing piano in the living room

FYi, I am in Dublin, 20 miles east of Oakland. We have more heat in the summer and its chillier in the winter

When I bought my U3 2 years ago, it was a buyers market. They are popular and I usually see 1 for sale on craigs list. When you are ready, you should be able to get a good deal. It is best to have ' both ' , a great digital and a very nice acoustic. I will see what my tuner recommends, in addition to the excellent advice I got here

[70's Songwriter]

Originally posted by b3keys:

What will you play when there is a power outage if you sell the U3?

You might be a MUSO if you think that gathering folks around the piano when the power goes out is a great idea.

The last time this happened, everybody in the family seemed to have the same idea at the same time. One daughter was playing her clarinet, the other playing her mandolin or violin, while I was at the piano.

Yup. This is a BIG reason for keeping the acoustic piano, GregC. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by GregC:

When I bought my U3 2 years ago, it was a buyers market. They are popular and I usually see 1 for sale on craigs list. When you are ready, you should be able to get a good deal. It is best to have ' both ' , a great digital and a very nice acoustic. I will see what my tuner recommends, in addition to the excellent advice I got here

GregC, I happen to have played on a U3 at my kid's Piano school right before your post. That's why I cringed at the idea of you selling it. It's a pretty fine sounding upright for sure. Then I checked out Craigslist and saw one for $2900. That sounds like a good price.

I do have the advantage of lack of temperature variations so an acoustic does not cost me much. However, the "volume" issue keeps me from practicing much on it.

In any case, when you have the inspiration for it, it's nice to know you can jump to a real piano (at least time your tunings to weather changes!).

I have had a Yamaha P2 upright since ~1974, and this year bought a Yamaha P120 digital. I find myself playing the digital more often than the acoustic, which was not true with my earlier crappy electric keyboards (Yamaha PSR and YPP models). The P120 keys feel good, and I can play with headphones.

However, I will *not* be getting rid of the P2 because the sound and touch are still better than the P120. If I were you I would keep the U3.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

I'm very happy with my Yamaha G2 MIDI Grand. The ability to play silently allows me to get much more use out of it than if it were a standard acoustic piano. I don't get it tuned that often because when it's out of tune, I just switch to the electronics. The full Disclavier would have been great, but I picked up the MIDI Grand at a close out price. Best of both worlds.

Busch.

Hiya Busch, I googled the Yamaha G2 MIDI Grand and I don't find anything. Is this rare? I was just interested to learn more about it.

Originally posted by Jazzwee:

After we just advised you not to sell? :cry:

Hello Jazz, I wouldn't do that. Dave and I are joking around

[70's Songwriter]

Archived