Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Brad Mehldau at Montreal Jazz Fest.

DanS

In a word, it was awesome.

He was brought out to accept the Miles Davis award ("for the entire body of his/her work, and for that musician's influence in regenerating the jazz idiom"), presented to him by André Menard, one of the founding organizers of the fest.

By 6:10, Brad, Larry Grenadier & Jeff Ballard hit the stage, and apart from a 20min break, finally brought the curtain down after the 3rd encore just before 9:00PM. Wow!

The great thing about a Mehldau concert is you never know what to expect. I have three of his CD's, and apart from 1 tune that I think was from Largo, I didn't recognize anything, except a ballad or 2.

I actually spent most of the time watching Jeff Ballard. The guy's a monster on drums, and I've never seen a guy play a kit so completely as he does. Truly spectacular.

I was front row, and had Mehldau directly in front of me. It was like watching them play in my living room. The stage volume was actually louder than the PA.

Anyone else manage to see 'em?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jazzwee:

Ooooh, I am so envious! He is such a big influence on me. Tell us more. Anything you can say about his playing?

Well his playing is certainly very fluid, and it's fascinating to watch the way he plays with his eyes closed, and really thinking about what's coming next. At one point he was doing a run with his left hand, and started to bring his right to the keybord. At the last second, he changed his mind, pulled his right hand back, and then 'tried' again a few seconds later. I got a kick out of that. Like he thought "that won't work there" ;)

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

You'll hear on some of his tracks, especially solo piano, where he does a bass pattern on the low register, some ostinato pattern in the middle register, and then chordal melody in the higher registers. So his solo piano sounds like multiple instruments. Of course, each of those separate sounds in each register is going on a different rhythmic pattern, which he calls staggered time (or a different meter).

I wonder if you saw any of of that.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Originally posted by LPreston:

I'm going to Canada next week to perform in the Blues Stage!

Hey, give us more details on this... what day, what city (I'm assuming Montreal, but there are a lot of festivals going on this month), what's the name of the band/artist? :)

It's a Brasilian Blues Rock band.

The good part is that I won't need to take anything with me as there is a hammond and a Yamaha on stage!!! YEAH!

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:zMW0aN9qIY0J:www.montrealjazzfest.com/fijm2006/programmation/grille_fr.asp%3FprogType%3Dcomplete%26dateselected%3D7/06/2006+montreal+jazz+ferna ndo+noronha&hl=pt-BR&gl=br&ct=clnk&cd=1

The name of the band is Fernando Noronha & Black Soul.

Let me know if you are around!

I'll have a lot to learn with the other musicians there!

Did you heard about Gerard Gibbs who is playing with JAmes Carter? I saw his concert some weeks ago in a festival here in BRasil. KILLER hammond Player.

Less is More

I'll be down next Wednesday (Gonzalo Rubalcaba) & Friday (Keb Mo & Bonnie Raitt) for sure.

I did a quick scan of the lineup, and didn't see the name of your band anywhere.

What night & stage are you playing on?

If I can, I'll swing down.

you can find clicking this link...http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:LbAPjwT8GxsJ:www.montrealjazzfest.com/fijm2006/programmation/grille_en.asp%3FprogType%3Dcomplete%26dateselected%3D7/06/2006+montreal+fer nando+noronha+jazz&hl=pt-BR&gl=br&ct=clnk&cd=1

FERNANDO NORONHA & BLACK SOUL

Scène Loto-Québec

2006-07-06

at 9:00 pm

go talk to me if you go there!

Less is More

Hahaha

Nope. I don t know what I was wearing at the concert, but it was great. It´s always good when you have a hammond B3. The leslie was shouting in my ears.

Did you see the concert? Let me know. I also watched to Rubalcaba concert. Wonderful.

blues e peace my friend

Less is More

Hi LP,

Sadly I didn't make it down to the fest on the Thursday. We were too busy. Next time!

I saw Gonzalo as well the night before, and was blown away. His drummer Ignatio Berroa was a killer! Bass player, David Sanchez, it was all good. Bought his New Quartet CD too, amazing.

Glad you had a good time at your gig.

The drummer was really killer. It's good when a drummer makes a musical solo, not a velocity competition! The best part is that I earned the tickets from the press! ehehe

It was unforgettable. It was the best festival I always went. The organization is unbelievable.

Maybe next time

Thanky ou anyway

Less is More

Archived