Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: My first time in Cali - kc hang w/ pics!

daBowsa

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by RABid:

Hey daBowsa, do you need to borrow a gun for the trip. I think the rental car places around LA charge extra for that option. :cool:

Yeah, that sort of thing happens all the time out here... :rolleyes:;)

dB

That's why I am looking forward to my trip in January. My chance to see CA for what it is rather than what you hear and see on TV. What I really want to know is if daBowsa rents a car and drives in LA traffic. I have not decided if I am going to chance that. :)

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I have a lot of crap going on here, making things extremely unpredictable, but as of now, it still looks like I can make it.

That's why I am looking forward to my trip in January. My chance to see CA for what it is rather than what you hear and see on TV.

Robert, I think you're wise not to trust TV's portrayals of any given region; and seeing California first hand on a visit will certainly provide a glimpse of what this place is like. On the other hand, one visit will at best provide you with a handful of pieces of a huge puzzle.

In Los Angeles alone, for example, Beverly Hills will leave a very different impression than East LA, which is very different from Manhattan Beach, which isn't much like Anaheim, which is quite different from South Central, which has little in common with the Hollywood Hills, which is nothing like downtown, etc. And that only scratches the surface of the diversity contained in the Los Angeles area, let alone in California, a state with a larger population than Canada's.

Seeing California "for what it is" is an ambitious undertaking! ;)

Looking forward to your visit. :wave:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Dan South:

Originally posted by steadyb:

It's going to be in the mid 90's (degrees), so pack accordingly.

And about 37 at night, if I remember LA weather.

:rolleyes:

You're thinking of the mid-day temperature in San Francisco during the summer time. ;)

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

That's why I am looking forward to my trip in January. My chance to see CA for what it is rather than what you hear and see on TV.

Robert, I think you're wise not to trust TV's portrayals of any given region
The impressions that people have of most countries/areas are often so badly wrong, I love correcting them. :D

LA area (or should I say "SoCal"?) at night:

http://www.gesource.ac.uk/satellite/2029.jpg

It always never ceases to amaze me that one hour before landing (coming from the east), you start getting into the periphery of the city and the lights never end until you land. One hour of city lights from the air. It just goes to show how massive this place is. With traffic, that picture you posted is more than a 2 hour drive from top to bottom. If one compares Southern California to Europe, how many countries can you cross?

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Yes, when ever I start to build ideas of how bad a place is based on what I see on TV I reflect on how mad I get when people do the same thing about Eastern Kentucky.

My biggest problem will be deciding what to see, other than NAMM. I really think I will try to hook up on some tours.

Robert

Originally posted by Jazzwee:

It always never ceases to amaze me that one hour before landing (coming from the east), you start getting into the periphery of the city and the lights never end until you land. One hour of city lights from the air. It just goes to show how massive this place is. With traffic, that picture you posted is more than a 2 hour drive from top to bottom.

Yeah, it's been called the "100 mile city".

If one compares Southern California to Europe, how many countries can you cross?
Er, maybe Luxembourg or something :D , if we're just talking about the urbanized area of Los Angeles (population = nearly 12 million) is about 1,700sq.mi. In fact it's the densest urban area in the US, the NYC urbanized area is about 3,400sq.mi. though of course the likes of Manhatten are much denser than anywhere in or around LA. Then there are of course other international "mega cities" such as Tokyo.

All depends on where you draw the lines though, there are clearly corridors on the US East Coast (I-95) and I-5 from LA-San Diego.

But yeah, I'd absolutely love to fly over Southern California at night. (Well, actually I'd also like to visit.) I'm convinced it's phenomenal.

Just watch "Baywatch".

That'll give you all you need to know about L.A.

If that's true then if pictures are posted of this L.A. meet-up I fully expect Dave Bryce to magically morph into David Hasselhoff and the other forum members to be wearing bikinis. :D

All the tourists take a drive to Malibu pier expecting to see bikini clad girls and Baywatch, and they are surprised to see...

NOTHING.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Originally posted by Jazzwee:

All the tourists take a drive to Malibu pier expecting to see bikini clad girls and Baywatch, and they are surprised to see...

NOTHING.

If I wanted to see that and more, I could just go to a nude beach in Portugal or Spain!! Not the sort of vacation I want.

Woo! Headed to Santa Monica for dinner. It would have been a great day had I not been stuck in a 10x10 office with no window, a geek, and some assembly.

Its amazing just how many California names I recognize from song lyrics alone: Malibu, Santa Monica, Ventura Blvd, Receda, etc. (I really should be writting them all down, its quite amusing). :thu:

I'm 100% for tomorrow night, y'all!

Originally posted by soundscape:

If that's true then if pictures are posted of this L.A. meet-up I fully expect Dave Bryce to magically morph into David Hasselhoff and the other forum members to be wearing bikinis. :D

:eek:

Yeah, that's gonna happen... :rolleyes:;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Yes, when ever I start to build ideas of how bad a place is based on what I see on TV I reflect on how mad I get when people do the same thing about Eastern Kentucky.

I hear you, Robert!

The movie Raising Arizona depicted the college town I grew up in as a trailer park and prison community in the middle of nowhere. Of course if they'd actually shot a frame of the film in Tempe or in the adjacent Phoenix area, it would have undermined their highly fictional setting; but people watched that film and believed it! :freak:

If only that were an isolated incident

Finally, after decades of depicting Arizonans as cowboys with a Oklahoma twang, there's a TV show set in Phoenix that's at least reasonably accurate about what Phoenix looks like and how people there speak: NBC's Medium.

You'd think with all of the great examples provided by famous Arizonans who've made it in film and television (Ted Danson, Lynda Carter, Garry Shandling, David Spade, Steve Allen, etc.), it wouldn't have taken Hollywood so long to have nailed an Arizona accent! :rolleyes:

Best,

Geoff

My home towns 15 minutes of fame came during a year in which the high school basketball team was ranked 3rd in the nation. The tallest player on the team was 64 and they were going to national tournaments and beating other nationally ranked teams. At the time ABC had hired Dick Shaff to do weekly sports stories for the nightly news and everyone was excited that he was coming to town to do a story on our team. For a town of 2500 this was big.

When the story aired on ABC nightly news the only film of the town showed a back street with abandoned buildings and the story line focused on a player who raised pigs. According to Dick Shaff he had to raise pigs to because he and the entire town were living in poverty. The entire county was shocked, angry and disappointed. We felt used, slandered and trampled on by someone who wanted to create a story rather than report the accomplishments of a small town team. What I noticed is that Dick Shaff used that formula over and over. Abandoned buildings and empty lots filled with trash were more common in his pieces than the homes of people he was covering. Not long after the piece on my home town Darrell Strawberry had a public tirade after Dick Shaff went to his home town to show the nation what a horrible place Strawberry had risen from on his way to stardom.

Robert

According to Dick Shaff he had to raise pigs to because he and the entire town were living in poverty. The entire county was shocked, angry and disappointed. We felt used, slandered and trampled on by someone who wanted to create a story rather than report the accomplishments of a small town team.

Bottom line is, news is a lot of junk. Even on serious issues.

But it's interesting to hear direct evidence of just how bad some of the distortions are.

Yep it was a great time, as always!

That's right, every time I've met daBowsa, it's been fun!

Seriously, it was great to finally meet you, Ben! :thu:

And of course, I also enjoyed hanging out with Dave, steadyb, Ken, Steve, and meeting Harmony Central's paulskirocks!

Wish Mags, mecca, and Dan could've been there too. They'd all have enjoyed it. :cool:

You heard him, guys it's your turn next! :)

By the way, special thanks again to Dave for rescuing my bank card that I didn't even know I'd lost! :eek:Very much appreciated, kind sir! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Archived