Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are headset mics on keyboard players cheesy?

shniggens

Originally posted by cliffk:

Yeah, even for a lead singer like me, I feel very exposed when I don't have my mike in my hand or on a boom in front of me. Also, with a headset, there's no way to back away on a difficult/high note. One more thing, that 'mike-on-a-boom-over-the-keyboard' look is just plain cool, no? :D

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/cliffcyg/Me.jpg

agreed. its the way i do it too, and it is just plain cool
so, its not so much about curing it as it is about hiding it...to help spread it faster

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh, what were we talking about? :D

Originally posted by soundscape:

What an awful pic!

http://www.nabou.com/celebrities/britney_spears/photo_galleries/images/britney_spears_picture_516.jpg

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Originally posted by Blue JC:

I'm also fat and ugly but I've been singing 4-part harmony for 40 years. You need a stationary mic because you have to CONSTANTLY adjust your distance from the mic in order to blend with the lead singer and the other harmony singers.

The microphone is an instrument that you have to learn to use just like a keyboard or a guitar or anything else. I could make an argument that it's the most important instrument on stage.

Set it and forget it only results in 5 lead singers instead of one lead singer and 4 backing vocalists singing harmony in balance with the lead singer and with each other.

Vocal dynamics are just as important as instrument dynamics. Good mic technique and everyone using their ears all the time are the only way to get good dynamics.

:thu: You're spot on in my opinion...

Originally posted by StillFightingIt:

Originally posted by Blue JC:

I'm also fat and ugly but I've been singing 4-part harmony for 40 years. You need a stationary mic because you have to CONSTANTLY adjust your distance from the mic in order to blend with the lead singer and the other harmony singers.

The microphone is an instrument that you have to learn to use just like a keyboard or a guitar or anything else. I could make an argument that it's the most important instrument on stage.

Set it and forget it only results in 5 lead singers instead of one lead singer and 4 backing vocalists singing harmony in balance with the lead singer and with each other.

Vocal dynamics are just as important as instrument dynamics. Good mic technique and everyone using their ears all the time are the only way to get good dynamics.

:thu: You're spot on in my opinion...
I agree 100% as well. When I sing I high part, I belt it and back off the mic, when I sing a low part, I get closer to the mic. Those kind of parts might happen in the same song, so I'd constantly be fiddling with a headset. I'm not a great singer- if I have to hit an A or B in a song, I have no way to sing that kind of note soft, I gotta let it fly. So being able to back off the mic is imperative.

One of the guys in a side project I'm in has one he's been trying to get me to use, I keep telling him no thanks, I'll stick to a boom stand.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived