Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - 10 things I learned in Ireland . . . .

shniggens

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Paul Clancy:

I mean most amaericans dont own a passport so we have a hard time sometimes wondering whey they dont know more about the world

I believe there are many reasons for this.

One, US is one large country, mostly made up (with some variations) of one culture, or one cultural mindset. We don't need to study are learn up on a different culture when moving from US state to US state. Our states are essentially equivalent in size to most European countries. Therefore, when you guys travel from one European "state" to another, you are entering a whole new culture.

Two, it's easier for you to visit these other cultures than it is for us. We heard that you guys can hop a round-trip flight to Spain for 40 Euro. And be there within a couple of hours. A venture to Europe for us is a big deal, lots of money and lots of time. Not something your average American can really afford. Which I think you would understand, as a vast majority of Irish we met have never made it to the States. Plus, when travelling to Mexico or Canada (our most popular vacation destinations), we don't need a passport. Plus, there is so much to see just here in the States.

However, a great amount of my friends have been all over the world, far further than I will probably ever get.

Amateur Hack

I mean most amaericans dont own a passport so we have a hard time sometimes wondering whey they dont know more about the world

That's a lousy, and insulting, generalization. 300 million people are not as stupid as you seem to want to think.

Originally posted by Prague:

Originally posted by Andre Lower:

it is a hell of a turnaround for a country with such a troubled history.

Just don't tell my next door neighboors, as they moved here from Belfast about a year ago. :D
Well, at least your neighbors shouldn't have a hard time adjusting to the climate. ;)
Amateur Hack

In the U.S., there is simply no "reason" to go overseas for a vacation--there are enough different environments to suit all tastes.

(All the Europeans who head off in the summer for Spain and Portugal aren't there for an anthropological tour, after all.)

Two, it's easier for you to visit these other cultures than it is for us. We heard that you guys can hop a round-trip flight to Spain for 40 Euro. And be there within a couple of hours. A venture to Europe for us is a big deal, lots of money and lots of time. Not something your average American can really afford.
Airfares from the East Coast to Europe are not that high, West Coast somewhat higher; it's not as though internal flights so much cheaper in the US.

But I don't think the airfare is the biggest expenditure on a vacation--hotel and leisure activities are.

I never said anyone was stupid and I said specificly I was generalising. Ive been to the US, met hundreds of US people through work and travel and as I said have a few american mates. Im on an american forum so I have no place insulting anyone from the US so if I have done, I completly apologise and retract that statement.

I know just how massive the states are so I can understand its not always required to travel abroad to go to a different climate, culture or scenic area. I know many americans have travelled the world or learnt about whats beyond your borders but I also know many have not. Thats up to them, its not my place to tell anyone how to live, travel or think.

I was speaking from general irish point of view responding to what an american said he thought what irish people thought of you. The general feeling IMO is what I said, a lot of people here wonder how some americans can go through life without leaving their own country to see and learn what else is out there.

Ive met americans on my travels for example that have been amazed we had electricity in Ireland. When I first started using the net about ten years ago I chatted to folks that could not beleive for one second that my house was 5 feet away from the next house or what my car had a 1.3 litre engine isntead of a 5 litre V8. Ive met those that actually think we live in the dark ages and that irish people are related to leprecauns and fall around drunk all the time. Many people I know have had the same experiances with you guys and its a simple fact that if those americans who thought that had picked up an atlas, read a book or spent some time travelling they would know some more general knowladge. We dont think you're stupid, America has put out some of the best entertainment, science and artisic developments of the last centuary and millions of us drive your cars or use american made software every day, as I said some people over here just cant get their head around the fact some americans dont need to travel or learn more about the world. Thats all.

Maybe if we started looking at the EU more like a United States of Europe then we'd understand. That would never happen though, the french and italians are too proud :)

Again sorry for those that took insult to the other post, none was intended.

Originally posted by Prague:

That's a lousy, and insulting, generalization. 300 million people are not as stupid as you seem to want to think.

The Big Spoon-Irish Funky Soul

www.bigspoon.ie

Ive met americans on my travels for example that have been amazed we had electricity in Ireland.

Don't worry, some New Yorkers still think we here in Colorado fight off Indians on the way to work. :D
Amateur Hack

Originally posted by shniggens:

Did I mention we toured pretty much most of the southern half of the country?

We drove through major cities such as Galway, Limerick, Cork, Waterford, Wexford, and Dublin.

One must add much additional time to their driving plans if their trip takes them through a city. No "interstate" style roads through the city. You must go through ALL the roundabouts, ALL the traffic lights.

Sure. But I believe Ireland has high standard bypasses or Motorways around major cities, such as the M50 ring around Dublin. The interurban road network is a POS, but seems to be under construction.

But above all I just like to make sure no-one has outdated images of countries or extrapolates a tourist view to the rest of the place. :)

Originally posted by soundscape:

In the U.S., there is simply no "reason" to go overseas for a vacation--there are enough different environments to suit all tastes.

If this is the way you think, you definitely need to start traveling.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by DanS:

If this is the way you think, you definitely need to start traveling.
Well, since I don't live in the US, and I've been to the US, Canada, France, Portugal, Turkey, Singapore, Russia, among various other countries, I don't think I need to start travelling. ;)

I would, however, like to pay a visit to Japan sometime.

People do not travel for various reasons: Because they believe they cannot afford it, because they can't be sure whether they will enjoy it, because they believe it's not worthy in view of the fact that they are sure they already know what is worth knowing, etc.

Regardless of their nationality, they are loosing way too much. Yet some keep going for the easy, familiar spots.

I'm 39 and have been to 37 countries so far, staying there for anything between one day and three years. My heart still pounds whenever I'm about to visit a new one. Nothing compares to the experience.

I am a fierce preacher of the "Stop whatever you are doing now and go see the world while you can" routine. At parties, at work, on Internet forums, etc. And every time I am biding farewell to a friend at the airport, I repeat the same phrase that conveys my feelings: "Open up your senses. Trust me, you will never forget what you are about to experience".

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

I'm 39 and have been to 37 countries so far, staying there for anything between one day and three years. My heart still pounds whenever I'm about to visit a new one. Nothing compares to the experience.

Totally, there's nothing like that first glimpse at a new place, seeing it out of the plane window, then the trip from the airport to wherever you're staying, it's always totally unforgettable.

But... many people don't seem to find this interesting and take vacations to fall asleep on the beach? (And get blind drunk at night?) I can't think of anything more boring, but...

I hope I visit that many countries by the time I'm 39.
Amateur Hack

Maybe Ireland is a good option for me since I have wanted to stay in a castle. The countryside does look beautiful when I see it on the Travel Channel. But what is someone like me that does not drink going to do in Ireland if they cannot hang at a pub?

One of these days I will make it there, but I WILL NOT try the blood sausages.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

What counts as visiting a country? Flight change in an airport? :D Er, landing at the airport but not getting out of the plane?

For the record, I've done that too (Dakar in Senegal was a typical technical stop for cheap South American flights headed for Europe back in 1990 :D ...), but I'm not counting these countries on my list. The "One day" item is Puerto Strossner (Paraguay), just across the border from Brazil and yet some 600 Km from my hometown of São Paulo. The 3+ years of the other end of my spectrum were spent in Barcelona (Spain). The furthest I've been was Capadocia (Turkey - fantastic place BTW). I'm still planning a dive trip to Yap before my time is up...
"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

People do not travel for various reasons: Because they believe they cannot afford it, because they can't be sure whether they will enjoy it, because they believe it's not worthy in view of the fact that they are sure they already know what is worth knowing, etc.

My only trip outside the US has been to Canada. Before I go overseas I have two other travel goals, travel to every county in Kentucky and travel to every state in the US. So far I have been in 98 of the 120 counties in Kentucky and 31 of the 50 US states.

My other goal is to travel US 421 from end to end. It is the road I group up on that "went somewhere". US421 stretches from Fort Fisher close to Wilmington Beach North Carolina to Michigan City, Indiana. The hardest part will be trying to stay on 421 while going through Indianapolis.

Robert

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by RABid:

Maybe Ireland is a good option for me since I have wanted to stay in a castle. The countryside does look beautiful when I see it on the Travel Channel. But what is someone like me that does not drink going to do in Ireland if they cannot hang at a pub?

Robert

Rabid, you'll survive. For instance, I've been to Germany many times and I do not drink beer ( :eek: - Tom is sure to have me hanged for this one...)! There's more to it than the traditional Oktoberfest motto. For starters, their nature/landscape is superb (something you'd not expect to hear from a Brazilian, right ;) ?), their approach to technical stuff is something to behold (once you see them in action you get to know why they are famous for it) and history is very rich and well documented. And there are the German girls...

I'm with you on the blood sausage though. Everyone has limits after all...

Originally posted by RABid:

You don't have to drink booze in a pub. Drink Pepsi or something. You can still hang out.

One of these days I will make it there, but I WILL NOT try the blood sausages.

Robert

I tried one and almost spit it across the room. Must be an acquired taste. One that I wasn't going to work on acquiring.
Amateur Hack

The Portuguese are traditional consumers of blood sausage as well, as are the Spaniards.

There is a museum in Avilla (Castilla) dedicated to the traditional, home processing of pork back in the days when this kind of stuff was not coming from a factory. It is startling to find out that most of the meat products we consume today were originally born out of necessity. No fridges were available, and so the animals should be killed in a very precise season. Nothing could be spared (a pig was symbol of status and wealth, and for no small reason) and ingenuity yielded the stuffing of viscera with ground internal organs (our common sausage), etc. Nature dictated what should be consumed first, what should be salted and dried out, etc. Even the ingredients chosen for seasoning pork meat were the result of careful trial&error.

Overall, a very interesting museum. Of course Avilla is one of the walled cities of Europe, making for an imposing view on those rolling hills that surround it.

OK, now where do I collect my tips for the impromptu tourist guide burst :confused::cool::D ?

Archived