Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another @#*&%**$% stand question...

captainmri

I did a search and my results weren't no good.

I've got an older USS-type 3-tier stand and it's great for narrower boards but it's time to get rid of some of my hip,upscale bachelor pad resting-on-chair-arms piano stand action and get something else.

The Quiklok double X three tier (sorry, I don't remember the model #) looks like the way to go. I'll have my M-Audio piano on the first floor, a five octave synth or controller on 2nd and either a five octave or mg-1/sh101 type on top.

Anybody here have one and have a caveat or praisefest about it? Even if you have experience with other brands, that's cool.

I seem to remember seeing Moby with a USS Apex/Deltex with four or five tiers in KEYBOARD. What about that?

chip

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cpt MRI,

I don't have anything against the QL 3 tiers, with the exception that the build quality is sometimes less than consistent. The gears and mechanisms don't always work exactly like they're supposed to. The USS Apex is rated for 250 lbs. -- spread across as many tiers as you can fit on there. Hope this helps.

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

hi captain my captain

this might help a few I have used.

I sold my apex refer to other thread as to why.

I have a "key on key" brand three tier and it works very well.

But is not adjustable for rake or tier height which is A shame and the upper tiers have a rake on them which I dont like.

Probably purchased around 25 years ago I guess and very expensive here [Australia] at that time and hence have seen very few here.

It has proven strong and reliable but the stand I rave about [as just posted on the other thread] is a quicklock X stand with thier adjustable upper tier.[which I purchased separately]

Fantastic as I could fit a GEM PRP7 piano on bottom and adjust the upper tier to sit directly above the gem with almost no gap [just like a console]

The upper tier is also adjustable for rake via a circular toothed locking system.Very strong.

The height is adjustable up or down via a series of holes,each spaced roughly 1" or 1.5" apart,

I have just replaced the GEM PRP7 with a casio piano which is actually slightly higher so the upper tier can be raised the next hole.

If thats too high I could actually drill another hole in between or tilt the upper tier downwards to fill that small gap.

The Casio piano is so skinny in depth it can actually sit in front of the second tier and Ive not actually had to raise it.

Also a third tier can be addded but i can not vouch for its strength but if the second tier is anything to go by then Id say it would be very adjustable and be strong although I always limit my upper tier to 61 notes or a lighter keyboard

Although the key on key presently has a

Kurzweil K 1000 on bottom [20 kg] a

Kawai K 5000w [15 kg]on second tier and a

Kawai K 5000S [15 kg] on top tier

without any stress

....hey they all "K" series keyboards thats wierd.

Made by K companies sitting on a key on key keyboard stand.even wierder.

My choice for live use is the quicklock as it is very portable and light and fully adjustable to get the feel right for me..ie closely positioned keyboards with no rake on upper tiers.

I dont need a third tier live but it would be usefull for adding maybe extra modules or such.

As a third keyboard for live work for me is not needed.

The stand you're talking about is QL-642. I have one of those and one QL-641 (w/ depth-adjustable 2nd tier). Couldn't imagine using anything else. At least the QL-641 has 30mm tubing for the 2nd tier, so it's possible to add a tier expansion to make the stand 3-tier.

I have an older Solid Support two-tier that I could use, but the top tier isn't adjustable and I don't like extending my wrists the way I'd have to if I put a keyboard up there. I'm tall and want something adjustable. Thanks for your tips, wind, cj and aussie.
chip

Problem I've run into with the QL stands is with the third tier. I've got the QLX-22 with the QLX-3 third tier. While the stand is quite solid and easy to use, I cannot get the third tier to my liking. It is too high and too far back. When I sit to play like I do, I have to reach a long way to hit the keys. Not comfortable at all.

After looking at the QL-642 and QL-623, I don't see much difference from what I have.

Sure, they'll give you good support, but it would be nice if they had a bit more depth adjustment.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Captain,

I think you are looking at the QL623. I ordered one from Sam Ash, but they are back ordered. According to my salesperson, Sweetwater ain't carrying QuikLok anymore due to inventory "issues". They offered an alternative, but it required separate tiers as add-ons, and I didn't want any more pieces.

Just figured I'd let you know. Delivery of mine will be about 4 weeks, if it ships when they say it will.

Regards,

Joe

Aye-aye, Captain,

I'll try to remember to post a review of the QL623. I'm a little embarrased to admit it, but the QuikLok I currently use I bought by mistake. I forget the model number but it is a display stand, and shakes intolerably, especially when I'm doing my lame-ass best to emulate Chuck Leavell.

I'm looking forward to more stability. I have an 88 note weighted controller on the bottom, a DX7 on the middle running a Voce and a Micron perched on a homemade PVC fixture that I copied courtesy of another Forumite.

Hopefully, I'll have it by the end of the month because I have 3 gigs in the first week of June.

Regards,

Joe

Archived