Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Power supply died

About 2 months ago the power supply for my Kurzweil PC-88 MX died. I've been terribly busy with school, and I have an alternate controller, so I've not bothered to do anything about it until a few days ago. I finally decided that I've really been missing the PC-88 lately, and am tired of the replacement board, so I ordered a new power supply at an online music store that I'm somewhat familiar with. I received an e-mail saying that they wouldn't receive the power supply from Kurzweil until the end of June, but that I should receive it a week or so after they receive it from them. So it looks like I'm looking at 2.5 months before I'll be able to use it again. Am I really screwed, or is there an alternative that I haven't thought of? I've already tried a number of music, computer and electronics stores, but none of them have a power supply with the right voltage.
A picture may paint a thousand words, but a melody can paint a thousand pictures.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LithoJazzoSphere:

About 2 months ago the power supply for my Kurzweil PC-88 MX died. I've been terribly busy with school, and I have an alternate controller, so I've not bothered to do anything about it until a few days ago. I finally decided that I've really been missing the PC-88 lately, and am tired of the replacement board, so I ordered a new power supply at an online music store that I'm somewhat familiar with. I received an e-mail saying that they wouldn't receive the power supply from Kurzweil until the end of June, but that I should receive it a week or so after they receive it from them. So it looks like I'm looking at 2.5 months before I'll be able to use it again. Am I really screwed, or is there an alternative that I haven't thought of? I've already tried a number of music, computer and electronics stores, but none of them have a power supply with the right voltage.

What voltages does it take? Seems like some time back someone mentioned it requiring 9V AC - is that correct? If so, you might be able to get one from Mouser.com.

Hope this helps.

- Bob

The power supply isn't near me, but I think it's 9 volts and 2 amps. I just looked at mouser.com, and there's a dizzying array of power supplies there, but I haven't seen it yet.

Contact Kurz directly at their website.
Well, I guess I could do that, but if the store I ordered it from can't even get it for awhile, do you think Kurz would be able to send it directly faster?
A picture may paint a thousand words, but a melody can paint a thousand pictures.

...The power supply isn't near me, but I think it's 9 volts and 2 amps...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When you check, also note whether it's an AC or a DC supply, and the tip type/polarity.

... Do you think Kurz would be able to send it directly faster?...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Certainly worth a shot. At least you'd avoid the additional lag time with it going to a retailer, then on to you.

Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

I've been running my pc88mx with an off-the-shelf power supply for about 2 years now, without a problem. Just get the voltage right. It was actually an improvement, since I managed to pick up a 'line lump' (or whatever it's called) instead of that huge wall wart that comes with the instrument. I'm sure you can find some electronics store that carries the correct type, have you tried these guys?

http://www.digikey.com/

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I know it's AC.

I guess I'll shoot Kurz an e-mail and see what they see.

Good call -- I have one sitting in my closet in my office that just may be for sale.

I'm on a gig right now -- call me on Monday if you'd like it 303-489-6284

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Archived