Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond XK 1

LOUD-ONE

I just purchased an XK1 from americanmusicalsupply.com. I t came in last night. I hooked it up and the drawbars don't work. The presets work fine, but I can't get any sound from the drawbars. So now I have to send it back and get another one. Does anybody know if this is a problem with the XK1, I'm really surprised at Hammond, what happened to Quality Control?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, welcome to the forum. :)

Secondly, this sounds to me more like a case of user error. Have you read the manual thoroughly? Are you familiar with Hammond organs (the ones that the XK-1 is a 'clone' of?), and how they work?

Your post leads me to believe, perhaps wrongly, that you aren't really sure what the drawbars do... my apologies if that is an incorrect conclusion. ;)

drawbars won't work (at least on a standard Hammond) until you press down the A# or B presets. Only then can you adjust the drawbars. That's what happened to me the first time I played a Hammond C-3 and I thought that it was broke! That was also about 20 years ago.

Brian.

Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

What do you mean that you can't get sound from the drawbars? Do you mean that when you fiddle with the drawbars your sound doesn't change, or are you expect sound come from moving the drawbars...

I don't have an XK1, but on a real Hammond there are presets for the drawbars (geez that's hard to explain). What I mean is you have to switch between preset mode and drawbar mode. You do that by using the Reverse color keys on the left hand side of the board(Bb and B being the 'presets' that enable the drawbars). With and XK3 (big brother to XK1 - which has the reverse keys) I imagine it works the same way (I don't have one, but I would be shocked if it worked differently than that).

I would guess that this board trying to be as close to a hammond as possible may have a similar button. A 'change to drawbars mode' button or something...

This may bring up and interesting point though... My clone (Roland VK7) allows me to bring up a preset and then muck with it... Does the XK3/1 allow anything like this?

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Woops, should have looked, because I was assuming the XK1 had the black preset keys...

I would assume, however, that it should function like the XB-2, where moving the drawbars will affect the 'presets' realtime. Unless there is some defeat switch for drawbars.

Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

'Hammodel AV' beat me to it...

How many times have you been doing a conga slap or something on a real B3 and accidentially hit one of the revers keys and either a) changed you tone, or worse b) turned off the tone... Geez that's annoying...

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

When you power up the XK1, it immediately goes into drawbar mode, per page 24 of the owner guide, you then simply pull out the drawbars or select a preset and play. I also have a C3 so I'm comfortable with drawbar operation. I also noticed that when I was moving the drawbars I faintly heard sound once or twice but then it faded out, so it has to be broken. I'm just wondering if this has happened to any other XK1 owners??? Ruined my weekend.

Sounds like it could be broken... What if you push them all in? Does all the sound go away? Or no difference. Or are you saying that there is no sound at all...

BTW: You clicked the wrong button to respond. To keep all of this in the same thread, you need to click either: 'FullReplyForm' or simply type into the box under the post.

Okay sorry.....yup no matter how I move the drawbars, no sound but all the presets work perfectly. BTW, I got an email from Hammond and they offered to pick this one up and give me a new one, but I already arranged for a return and replacement from AMS.COM.

I guess they(HAMMOND), know this one is defective as I gave them the serial number.

So I have to say, I would be wary of buying one online, nothing beats seeing it in person and trying it out first!!! Still ruined my weekend.

One possibility is that the drawbars are set to control the lower manual (or a split keyboard) but since a lower manual isn't attached (or split isn't on) no lower manual notes are being "played". Check pg. 24 in the manual. If all the upper manual's drawbars are in, you won't get any sound (or they won't change if a preset is selected) since the drawbars are changing the lower manual. Also, just in case, do a reset (pg. 20).

Good Luck

Originally posted by LOUD-ONE:

I guess they(HAMMOND), know this one is defective as I gave them the serial number.

So I have to say, I would be wary of buying one online, nothing beats seeing it in person and trying it out first!!! Still ruined my weekend.

I guess the question I'd be asking right now is, if they knew it was defective, WHY DID THEY SHIP IT??

That's the first thing that came to mind, doesn't anybody check the function of the board before they package it? Anyway another one has been shipped, I hope this one works properly. It is a beautiful instrument and the waterfall keys really make this thing enjoyable to play and it's really easy to operate, ( when it works of course ).

Archived