Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

P250 vs. P90 piano sound ...?

Dave Horne

I ask this because of the new products out, the CP300 and the CP33. The CP300 is the follow up for the P250 and the CP33 is the follow up for the P90. I'm pretty certain the piano sounds have stayed the same respectively. So, how does the P90 compare to the P250 piano sound wise?

I've played both but not side by side. I'm not in a hurry to sell my P250 but the foot print of the P90/CP33 is very attractive.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The P90 Piano uses the same samples as the P250 Piano, but the P90 sounds like a P250 with a towel over the speakers.

Rhodes:

The P90 has one of those Rhodes that you hear a lot of pingy "tine", which I don't like. The P250 has a fairly nice "Standard Rhodes" (Tip: turn on the Amp Simulation effect and the P250 Rhodes sounds fatter, especialy the single notes for soloing. The Amp Simulation almost sounds like it's playing thru a Fender tube amp rather than a thin sounding solid state.Tip 2: Turn off the Chorus for soloing for better clarity.)

Originally posted by InfoSal:

The P250 and the P90 use the same three layer samples but they are more compressed in the P90. The P90 also lacks the sound board samples. Thus the P90 sounds duller.

Which one sounds weird and phasey in mono?

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I ask this because of the new products out, the CP300 and the CP33. The CP300 is the follow up for the P250 and the CP33 is the follow up for the P90. I'm pretty certain the piano sounds have stayed the same respectively. So, how does the P90 compare to the P250 piano sound wise?

I've played both but not side by side. I'm not in a hurry to sell my P250 but the foot print of the P90/CP33 is very attractive.

Dave, I think it's a mistake to assume that the piano sounds have stayed the same on both these instruments. We don't know for sure if they've used the same sample set. Even if they have, they could be voiced differently, which could make a big difference in how they sound. Save your concerns until the instruments are released, then audition them for yourself.

Originally posted by eric:

Originally posted by InfoSal:

The P250 and the P90 use the same three layer samples but they are more compressed in the P90. The P90 also lacks the sound board samples. Thus the P90 sounds duller.

Which one sounds weird and phasey in mono?
I'm still curious which of these two pianos sounds weird and phasey in mono. I'm recommending gear to a friend that is building a studio and I promised him that I would suggest a non-weird and non-phasey digital piano. What is the final verdict?

Regards,

Eric

Archived