Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I passed GAS.

RABid

I started to say I farted and see if anyone got it, but I really hate to say fart or farted on a forum. Fart, fart, fart. Sounds like a kid. So I will not say I farted on a forum. I passed gas.

Anyway, you have all put up with me trying to decide what to buy for the past years. And a few days ago I mentioned my plans to pick up a new Fantom X7 this weekend. Well, today I made the trek (180 miles each way) to my favorite music store, Sennheiser HD-600 headphones in hand, and checkbook in my pocket. After spending a few hours in the store I came home with a brand new Roland RD700SX. Yep. Thats right. Forgo the Fantom for an RD. I have been wanting the best 88 I could find and my old Fantom 76 is still mint so rather than trade it in or ebay it for $700 and put the money towards a newer model, I decided to grab a good deal on the piano.

For me it was a good choice and I could not be happier. The piano plays great and that is what I wanted and needed above anything else. So, Im off to find my books and practice my old recital pieces.

By the way, I got a nice demonstration of the new 1.4 software for the Nord Modular G2. I may have farted, ummm, passed gas, but I still have a pain. That thing is great. They also had the Nord Stage 88 and Alesis Fusion HD8. I did not spend any time with them. I knew what I wanted, got it, and rushed it home.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, many congrats! It's hard to get what you need sometimes. The 76 is stil a great board I'm certain, and the RDs are really pretty cool! You'll have to let us know how you're feeling about it once you get some more time to play with it!

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Cool!

180 miles each way?

That's a lot of time to build up some GAS.

I probably would have 'sharted' in the store after seeing all that new gear.

Meself, I've been loading up Wavestation sysex patches into my "new" EX all day.

Mucho fun.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Rabid: I hope you're happy, you've now officially sent my gas-o-meter flying. I was seriously thinking about getting the RD700sx but there's something about hearing other people buying it that makes me want it even more! You lucky sanavagan! :mad:

Since this is a thread dedicated to your purchase, can you maybe post some mp3s, tells out about the features of the RD that you like most, cons, pros, whatever. In other words, inspire me to buy one :) .

Can you make a full "band" (ie multiple track) recording and post it for us to hear? I want to hear how well it can do all other non-piano sounds in a full recording. I know it has full GM sounds for midi playback, but can you actually call these sounds up and play'em? If this is possible, how good are the odd sounds? (ie accordion, steel drum, wtvr)

Keep us (me) posted!

Sadly I only get one evening to test it. This morning I am packing up and plan to stay with the parents for a few days. The RD will stay here while I take my Emu XL-7 and XBoard 49.

I bought the RD for piano as my other ROMplers and the computer will cover other sounds. It does have not sounds and the modeled organ is better than what you will find on a rompler. I really like the ability to adjust the draw bars but I don't like playing organ on a hammer action keyboard. One of my early goals will be to create some setups that allow me to access the organ on channel 2 from a synth action keyboard while playing piano from the RD's keyboard. I think the trick will be in assigning the effects to the organ. Has anyone done this yet?

What I like best? The keyboard action is great. The pianos play great and respond well to touch. There are two very good sampled pianos and they have different tones. One is the new piano from the Fantom X and the other is the piano released on the new SRX card. The X piano is a bit mellow compared to the SRX piano. With these Rolland has addressed the issue of the sustain being too short. I sold my SRX-02 card because the piano was ok for quick passages but the sustain was too short. I also like having two seperate MIDI outputs. I can connect one to a VARack and one to something else and the RD will do a good job controlling them.

What I don't like - For some reason Roland put the old type joystick on this unit. It has a very short throw in the MOD direction. Almost an On/Off effect. Why? Why? Why did they do this? They improved the joystick on the XP-80 and kept it for the Fantom, but they stick the bad one on the XP030 and the RD700SX. Go figure. I will be using my Fantom76 for synth leads so it is not as much of an issue for me as it may be for others.

Next weekend I will install the drivers and test it with my sequencer to see out it does on multi-part sequences. Right now it is not in the same room as my DAW or any other computer. I have it sitting in front of a window where I can look outside while playing piano. :)

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Congrats on your purchase, Rabid. I doodled with 88's when I was trying to decide whether or not to fix my Kurzweil (which I ended up doing), the Roland had a stunning piano sound to my ears and would've been my first choice.

P.S. Your "farts" sure brought up some weird ads here =>

:D

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

Archived