Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Roland RD series

Sam P

I have two RD-600s. One in the states and one here. When I moved here I tried the 700 (was before xs) and couldn't believe how bad it was. The action and sounds in the 600 were really better. So I found a used 600. I couldn't be happier with them. They both have taken a beating for years and I've never had a problem except for broken keys, (to be expected) that I replace myself. At a show in Albany, NY an entire pitcher of water got spilled directly onto and into my RD600 at soundcheck. (don't ask)

I opened it up, poured the water out, let it sit for a while and then took a hair dryer to it. It was back up and working swimmingly before the show.

I've played the 700xs more than a few times on some shows and I really like it a lot, but by the time I'm ready to part with my 600(s), there will probably be a newer RD out.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by latchmo:

They both have taken a beating for years and I've never had a problem except for broken keys, (to be expected) that I replace myself.

I recently looked at a rd 600 after reading comments here on the forums...and remembered the often said broken keys of this model.Some had said a design fault.

i dont believe the statement as expected should apply to a quality product...but obviously this model had a problem...I have never once broken a key in the probably 30 or 40 or so keyboards Ive had...and yes I have played in many rock bands...why should we accept a particular model is expected to break its keys in its lifetime...or am I a lighter player...I dont think so.

needless to say after the advice on this model I was able to check out the second hand model on offer...

the keyboard was used a lot,but had only one key that was dubius ...middle G which clunk a bit...and I wondered if this was the beginning of that trip to a broken key...

the shop wanted $1500 aussie for a worn piano which they would not budge trying to point me to the Yamaha CP33 which was only $2000 Au brand new...great board and if I haggled I would always try for at least 25% off...needeless to say I was hoping to get the RD 600 for around $800 but his offer to haggle on the price over the pjone was only a pretence to get me back in to see the other stuff he had.

i pity anyone paying $1500 for a worn keyboard even if it was touted as ex churh...yea the church of the living dead.

(to be expected) was not to mean I expect keys to brake because it is a RD600. I often play hard and have broken keys on Yamahas, Korgs, Rolands, ect...

I played some shows this summer at Le Bilboquet in Paris with my trio and broke 3 strings on their baby grand. :D

I can't honestly say there is or isn't a design flaw in the RD600. I've always attributed broken keys to a heavy hand. I think ALL brands of stage pianos could use better (stronger) design in the key department.

But that would add weight I guess. I'd gladly lug around a few extra pounds of stage piano in exchange for a more solid keybed design.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought an RD700SX when the keyboard on my Yamaha P200 took a powder. While I love the board for its feel, its "other sounds" and functionality as a MIDI controller - I'm not at all crazy about its regular piano sound. There's something about the way it sounds in the mid-range that just "thuds" on my ears. I ultimately got my P200 repaired and use it almost exclusively for the piano sound - and happily play the Roland for everything else.
The SpaceNorman :freak:

Archived