Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GMU student asks lame RS-Electro question

rzzzzz

(Go Patriots!? Who'da thunk it? No one here in Fairfax.)

In his original review of the electro, Stephan mentioned using a 61 as the lower organ board combined with a weighted controller. Now, thanks to all for the tip on the Radio Shack sale, I'm looking forward to hooking things up that way. I know that the appropriate threads must abound, but I can't find them, and I wonder if anyone could help a poor, overbooked student out with easy instructions on how to set up the midi control to run the pair the way they ought. Thanks. (Did I mention Go Patriots!?)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using the Electro alone, you'd press the SPLIT button to activate a lower manual, then press the UPPER and LOWER buttons to set up those two different manual settings. Pressing SHIFT + SPLIT + any key sets your split point (< OS version 2.2).

By running MIDI from an external controller's OUT to the IN of the Electro, the Electro's entire range becomes the UPPER manual, and the external contoller becomes the LOWER manual. Of course, the Electro is creating all the sound ...

No additional setup is necessary.

So I plug the midi cable from out on the RS paino to in on the Electro. No change. I suppose there are some midi settings to change, but I don't see it in the RS instructions or the Electro. This must be the most mundanely of tasks, but without knowing, I'm having a hard time guessing.

Make sure you set the midi channel on the RS to the same as the Electro. Also, for "lower manual" organ control, the default channel on the electro is 2 I believe, so if you set the RS to send on 2, you can trigger the 2nd organ sound.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Sorry for the threadjack. I have nothing to say regarding the question. I just wanted to say how cool it is to hear from someone affiliated with George Mason. There must be an incredible, surreal buzz on that campus right about now. Congratulations!
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Thanks for the good GMU vibe. Yeah, the school has 30,000, but is so much a commuter set-up that truely this is the first time we've ever had a sense of connection and belonging. Everyone is going nuts.

As far as the keyboards, I hit midi and shift on the Electro, changed the setting from 2 to 1, and everything works fine. More than fine, really. The RS's weighted keys really adds a lot of satisfaction. And since it comes with strings, it helps fill in the only gap in the Electro's fine sounds bank. (With all the recent updates and sounds, I still have hope for the electro-mechanical mellotron sometime down the road.)

Archived