Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RD-700SX Mandolin

Tony Bennett

I'm considering purchasing the world collection expanion board as I want a mandolin sound. Does anyone own this? Good? No Good?

My duo wants to do a couple of boom chic boom chic folk type songs where I would play bass on the left hand and mando with the right. My singer plays acoustic guitar.

I'd hate to spend the money on it and then have it sound lame.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you unhappy with the GM Mandolin built into the RD700SX? #292. You might try some EQ or FXs before investing $200+ in a card for one sound. I have the World installed in one of my Rolands, but I can't remember which one. I think it's the XR and that's not readily available.

Busch.

DOH! I thought there we're just drum sounds in there! Why is all of that over under that button? I was wonder why I couldn't find a trumpet as well, thought that would be in the brass section. Cool, I can use that accordian too.

Thanks Bud!

Glad that works for you. The GM have no FXs on them so try a little EQ or maybe the Enhancer to liven up the sound, if you need it.

SHIFT + ON/OFF BUTTON on the Multi-Effects section takes you right to the FX section. Then save as a SETUP.

Busch.

Sven I hear yah...I'm a bad boy. Very funny. I've always been a piano/organ basics kind of guy. Now with the duo I'm trying to be more creative. Now where is that owners manual, good excuse to have a cocktail I think. Cocktails and light reading.

Thanks for the additional info Burningbusch.

Not at all, I enjoy a good ribbing. Good stuff, good stuff. I just got done puttering around with the zones some more. After looking more closely I see how to create the 4 way splits, and how you can over lap octives etc. Very handy. I want to try and create sort of a big jingly jangly accordian/mandolin with a splash of something else mix.

Originally posted by Tony Bennett:

Not at all, I enjoy a good ribbing. Good stuff, good stuff.

:thu:

I want to try and create sort of a big jingly jangly accordian/mandolin with a splash of something else mix.
Banjo would be appropriate, as would fiddle for some sorts of material. If you're doing Irish/Celtic material, you could also use flute or penny whistle for a lead, layered with the accordion. :)

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

All you lowlife @#$&(&( just want to put us REAL mandolin players out of work!

No shortage of mandolin work in Ohio. But then I live in a hotbed for bluegrass music. I just choose to focus on the piano. But it is such a fun instrument to play. And you can fly on it when you pick it.

Tony , as far as the boom a chinka chording, It would not really be that hard to learn if you picked up a real mandolin. You can often get away with a lot of two finger chords if you want a basic rythym. But I think Sven had a good idea about the flutes.

I'm just trying to figure out how to use the mandolin in a R&B/soul /dance band. I'm still trying to find a song I could pull it off in and not change the whole thing to a bluegrass or celtic type arrangement :D

There are other options for mandolin playing. Check out the emando.com website for artists using the electric mandolin.

I was kidding about putting mando guys out of work, BTW! And not opposed on principle to getting a mando sound out of a keyboard, or guitar sound either. But it's still not the real thing!

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

There are other options for mandolin playing. Check out the emando.com website for artists using the electric mandolin.

I was kidding about putting mando guys out of work, BTW! And not opposed on principle to getting a mando sound out of a keyboard, or guitar sound either. But it's still not the real thing!

I knew you where joking Eric, and I have yet to find a keyboard which reproduces a decent mando patch

To be honest Im not a big fan of keyboards reproducing non-keyboard type sounds either. Sort of like those guitar pedals that make organ sounds, a little goes a long ways in my mind. I did consider purchasing a real mandolin, but Im pretty sure that even I (kidding) cant play mandolin and keyboard at the same time. And I want it as part of a chorus of sounds playing all at once with a walking bass pattern. Plus Ive heard they have more in common with violin then guitar? Is that correct? I can play guitar, so if they had more in common with that Id be more interested.

Originally posted by Tony Bennett:

DOH! I thought there we're just drum sounds in there! Why is all of that over under that button?

Don't you know that GM2 means "Gobs More Too!" ?

:D

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I just picked up a Rogue Mandolin from an online retailer for $29.95. I have found it hard to put down since I got it. I know it's a cheap knock-off but being a keyboard player that plays a little guitar I am loving it! It's made me dig up a bunch of mandolin music too. If you haven't heard Nickel Creek check them out! In the meantime I'm digging some early Heart as well!

Now, spend the thirty bucks (cheaper than an expansion card) and wear blisters on your fingers! Good luck!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Tony, you are correct it is tuned like a violin. If you know how to play guitar you just have to think upside down and maybe backwards for the top 4 strings. :D

A guitar is tuned in 4ths except for g-b EADGBE

And a Mando is in 5ths GDAE so on a guitar if it is a G chord with the third fret of the low E and the second fret of of the A depressed,.. on the Mando its just flipped over on the bottom two strings( E 3rd fret -A second fret)

Tony, I fiqured from your post that you are multitasking and could not play everthing. I have the same problem . I would love to play my guitars and mando along with the piano ,but I don't have enough hands or strengh to haul all the necessary equipment around

Your right Midinut it is an infectious instrument, a whole lot of fun to play and it really enhances any acoustic guitar music.. I used to play it in church sometimes when the horn players were off to give a little different feel to the music.The fellow on Nickel Creek is an exceptional player.

Originally posted by Trill:

I would love to play my guitars and mando along with the piano ,but I don't have enough hands or strengh to haul all the necessary equipment around

Your right Midinut it is an infectious instrument, a whole lot of fun to play and it really enhances any acoustic guitar music.. I used to play it in church sometimes when the horn players were off to give a little different feel to the music.The fellow on Nickel Creek is an exceptional player.

Trill,

Funny you should mention that ... (can you say "highjack"?). The other night as I was loading up the car after a gig (and a 10' trailer with band equipment) ... I got to thinking to myself ... maybe I should find me a cool proggish(?) bluegrass ensemble to play with!

It sure would be easier on my back anyway!

And the dude from Nickel Creek ... :freak:

Also check out David(Dave) Grisman and maybe I'll call Bella Fleck up and offer to add the mandolin element to his mix!

:D:D /highjack :o:o

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Originally posted by midinut:

Originally posted by Trill:

I would love to play my guitars and mando along with the piano ,but I don't have enough hands or strengh to haul all the necessary equipment around

Trill,

Funny you should mention that ... (can you say "highjack"?). The other night as I was loading up the car after a gig (and a 10' trailer with band equipment) ... I got to thinking to myself ... maybe I should find me a cool proggish(?) bluegrass ensemble to play with!

It sure would be easier on my back anyway!

And the dude from Nickel Creek ... :freak:

Also check out David(Dave) Grisman and maybe I'll call Bella Fleck up and offer to add the mandolin element to his mix!

:D:D /highjack :o:o

Midinut, the first time I walked out the door to a Bluegrass gig with only my little mandolin in its case ,I thought I forgot something. This was just to good to be true. No amps ,No multiple guitar cases,No cords (even though I had a pickup) Just the mando and some picks and a tuner inside the case

Definately was the most gig friendly instrument as far as loading in an out. ;)

Archived