Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XP-30 owners, is my mod stick broken?

Display

I factory reset my Roland XP-30 and i still can't get any of the presets to add vibrato or change at all when using the modulation lever. I looked in the manual and found nothing on how to use it- it just says "use it to add vibrato".

Is there something I'm not doing right? I tried it on many presets especially ones like synth leads. I opened the keyboard and everything looks fine. Is it just broken?

Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming you have a MIDI interface on your computer, you can download MidiOX (it's freeware) and monitor the data transmitted by your keyboard. Without playing any notes, push up on the stick, and see if anything is received.

Note: do this after you've hit a couple of notes to ensure that something is being received by your PC. ;)

If data is generated by the stick, you know it's not broken. If nothing is received, well, you're no farther ahead, but at least it didn't cost you anything. ;)

When I had an XP50, I seem to remember a page where it would monitor the MIDI signals as numbers (0-127) sent from keys (velo, aftertouch) and mod, pitch bend etc.

I'll see if I can find it...

looks like pg. 127 in the XP30 manual. INFO in either PERFORM mode or SYSTEM mode, I can't quite tell from a quick look.

I assume XP-30 modulation lever is the same that RD-700 (not SX).

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RD-700/images/top_L.jpg

Well, it's there, but I don't think it's meant to be used (modulation). It hardly moves up. It doesn't work anyway, I think they just wrote "modulation" there for decorative purposes. Only bend up/down works.

It happens the same with you?

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Originally posted by NYKeys:

Have you tried to do a factory reset?

Ummmmmm.... you might want to re-read the original post again. Just the first four words or so... ;)
I Must have been tired when I posted this :D

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

If it's anything like the one on the rd-600, then force should do it, for a year I had assumed the mod lever on my school's rd-600 didn't work, but then I saw another kid using it. I asked him how he was doing it, and he told me to just give thing a good push, and now I use it all the time :thu:

Well you can take it on Roland's unique marketing policy. Amazing as it may seem, they have purposefully downgraded some features on the XP-30 so as to keep the older XP-80 and newly-arrived (and pricey) Fantom competitive. Things like only one pair of stereo outputs and the ridiculously short-run modulation lever that you are confronting right now...

OK, extra stereo outputs DO add to the cost, so that could be a reasonable excuse, but no one will seriously argue that a functional modulation lever (the one on the XP-80 for instance, externally identical and yet functional) would have implied extra cost :mad: .

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

I remember when I had the XP30 that it was uncomfortable to use the mod lever because of the amount of force necessary to engage it. It also felt as if it were off or on; it had no expressive range really. I assigned the C1 slider to modulation permanently and sometimes used aftertouch.
Jupiter 50; Triton Extreme; Ultranova

Archived