Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using Ibanez DM1000 with organ & Leslie

LeeM

Hope this is the right place to ask . . . I'm playing a Fender Contempo organ with a Leslie that has no reverb. In a small room the sound is very "flat". I'm trying to get my Ibanez DM 1000 to create ambience reverb by hooking it between the organ and the Leslie preamp but i can't get it to work. Any suggestions on settings and where to put the DM1000 in the signal chain or, if not, places where I can look on the web to find out how to do the settings.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. The Ibanez unit is a rackmounted affair, and is not meant to be run "in line" like a guitar effects pedal. The easiest way to accomplish what you have in mind is to buy a pedal type (guitar pedal) reverb instead. You can run it the way you are now, between the organ and the Leslie pre-amp. Boss, Line 6 and others make them, and they go for about $150.00. There is no easy way to use the Ibanez that I know of. You'd need to have an effects loop somehow with the Leslie and the combo preamp. There must be a way to do that, but I would think it would cost a lot more than $150.

As to the end result, my experience with reverb and Leslies is that you really can't hear the effect very much with a Leslie. My .02. I'd try to borrow a pedal effect from someone and see if it's the desired effect before purchasing. Not a lot of Contempos out there! Cool combo organ!

Yes, I've enjoyed the old Contempo since I got it new in '66 or '67. I originally bought the Ibanez to use as an effect in the sound system that a band I was playing with was using.

Yes, the organ, Leslie pre-amp and Ibanez all use 1/4 inch "guitar-type" jacks. That's why I can't figure out why I can't make it work with the organ & Leslie.

Quite frankly, I can't make the Ibanez (which I've had since new) work at all. Help!

What exactly is the issue? You should be able to go Organ out-> Ibanez in-> Ibanez out-> preamp pedal-> leslie. I run my Electro direct into a lexicon Alex and then into my preamp, it works fine. Are you getting a bad sound, or no sound at all? Have you checked obvious things like cables?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

The issue is that the Ibanez unit doesn't seem to do anything when hooked organ -> Ibanez -> Leslie preamp -> Leslie. There is the normal organ sound but I can't get any effects at all. The one I want is amiance reverb. I'm assuming that all chords are okay since there is sound just not with any reverb.

This is an old DM1000 with almost no use. I have the original owner's manual and I'm following their settings but . . . no results

I'm just hoping to find someone that has used one of these things recently and can point out a detail(s) I'm missing.

A few minutes ago there was a lot of whooping and hollering in my music room 'cause I got it to work. Poor translation from Japanese in owner's manual but a lot more playing got it right. The organ sounds soooooooo much better.

Thanks for everyone's input.

So it was a PEBKAC? (an old desktop support term- problem existed between keyboard and chair)

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived