Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What happened to prog rockers in the 80's?

Calumet

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happend to good ole rock, ya know , with a distortion pedal ???? It almost seems like the 90's hit and all the guitar players lost there distortion pedals......

I wonder if a major 70s/80s rock band like ACDC, Boston, Styx, Foreigner, Van Halen, Whitesnake, etc, etc, etc..... were just starting out NOW, if they would 'make-it'

I for one miss the 70s/80s music, Well actually Its still pretty much what I listen to. Though NEW stuff (from the 70s/80s would be nice.

Believe it or not, the original Asia lineup (John Wetton, Steve Howe, Geoff Downes, Carl Palmer) announced a reunion tour for this year.

I'll believe it when I see it. Most of them have other tour commitments through the early summer.

Three of them (sans Howe) tried to reunite around the millenium, but it never happened.

However, this announcement has broken up the 90s-00s lineup of Asia, which featured John Payne on vocals.

See? That's the kind of reply that you get from someone who actually listens to this stuff. Some of it is quite good, at least as far as pop music goes.

Ben

I talked to an owner of a new lounge facility going up in the area. I asked her what kind of bands and music they were looking for. She said 70s/80's. I asked her what about 50-60's stuff. She said the consensus among her constituents was that it was dying out. There is a market of people who listened to stuff in the 80's (ASIA)and others, type stuff I presumumed.

I know that Journey,REO,Aerosmith etc. tribute bands are getting most of the work in the area right know.

Finally my time has come

http:// http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/pursuitboy/band.jpg

Journey,REO,Aerosmith etc. tribute bands are getting most of the work in the area right know.
This is true in my area as well. In addition to straight "tribute bands" the venues that feature bands doing a variety of 70's/80's material are packing them in, and paying the bands well.

I did the Journey tribute band for three years out here, and nightclubs were asking US to play after a while. We usually did combination shows with the local AC/DC tribute band.

It was great fun.

You don't see too much 50's or 60's era live music any more.

I'm in a band now doing 70'/80's pop/rock.. NIght Ranger, Styx, REO, KISS, Toto, VH, Journey, ASIA, A-HA, Talking Heads, Romantics, Huey Lewis, and so on. I personally am having a blast, and there's no lack of work for cover bands doing this stuff now.

hey, i do this for the fun..my day job allows me to.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Archived