Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Silly Useless Features : Roland V-Link or D-Beam???? Does anyone care about these?

Alkeys

Does anyone actually use Roland V-Link or

D-Beam???? Does anyone care about these????

Especially V-Link

What am i gonna do give a friggin Powerpoint presentation with my Roland Keyboard?

Does it double as an overhead projector as well??

Silly useless features?????

What does this have to do with playing keyboard again??????

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Alkeys:

Especially V-Link

Yes. You can sleep better at night knowing that, much like equipment with wall warts, someone out there is flying in the face of your wisdom, and using 'useless' features on keyboards.

:rolleyes:

Yep, I'm sure they're mostly intended as marketing gimmicks. But I'm sure some people do actually use them - and more power to them.

As long as Roland keyboards remain competitively priced compared to other brands, the extra features really aren't disadvantaging anyone. You can simply ignore them.

Of course there are the arguments about how company resources could be better spent improving other aspects of the products... but all that's speculation, really. I don't let it bother me :)

Actually,the D Beam could be adapted to serve as somewhat of a faux wind controller,except with your hand instead of your breath...

As for the V-Link,why doesn't Roland put it to REAL use and install a "display out" on the back of the high end keyboards so one could hook up an LCD Monitor and not have to squint and hunch?

I think a 15.4" widescreen would suffice,in comparison to the present reality...

Topic: Silly Useless Features : Roland V-Link or D-Beam???? Does anyone care about these?

Alkeys

posted 03-10-2006 02:43 PM

Especially V-Link

What am i gonna do give a friggin Powerpoint presentation with my Roland Keyboard?

Does it double as an overhead projector as well??

Silly useless features?????

What does this have to do with playing keyboard again??????

Alkeys

posted 03-10-2006 02:47 PM

Roland you paying attention here babe???

Yeah, 4 whole minutes and no design change announcements from Roland headquarters.

Well, you have to admit that some other aspects of the product are quite good. It's no wonder Roland ranks up there among the big three.

I suppose all of them have their Achilles heel. Yamies do have this thing with interface convolution, and Korg's reliance on EFX for molding their sound has become notorious. The fact that you have to live with D-Beams, V-Links, bad joke User manuals and whatnot kind of evens the game, so those that do not like one or more of the big three have some ammunition to bash them :D .

You see, I count myself among these people. As pissed as I get with these Roland traits, I still find myself liking their workstation more than the other two. Oh silly me...

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Have to admit I use the D-Beam on my AX7. Got a velocity switched distort guitar sound out of my N1R & the beam brings in a reverbed sine wave an octave and a half above. Instant "feedback"!

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

Archived