Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland DR-880 Bass Sounds Question (pre-sales)

wd8dky

Hello everyone! I am seriously contemplating a DR-880 purchase. I'm already sound on the drum portion of the box, but was wondering about the bass sounds.

I've seen reviews say they are usable and playable. I guess I want to clarify those comments:

Are the bass sounds velocity sensitive? That is, does the tone change along with velocity, or just the volume? I would probably play the bass from an outside keyboard controller, rather than the pads. Usually when bass sounds are tossed in, only the volume changes with harder or softer playing.

Thank you!

Paul

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need to 'let it die', rather the contrary. I was merely suggesting that perhaps nobody here has used that specific piece of gear, so nobody is able to answer for you.

It may be such that only first-hand investigation will answer it for you. I can totally understand the 'sales mook' issue. ;)

It might be worth an email or call to Roland/Boss support. You'd be no farther behind, if nothing else. :)

Good luck, either way... I hope you find the answer to your question. :)

Hi wd8dky,

I have a DR-3 and just tried playing the bass sounds from a keyboard. They respond to velocity but only amplitude is affected. Since the DR-880 is a higher model (I think) it may have velocity controlled filters but the DR-3 does not.

Why don't you contact the manufacturer to find this out? Or have the salesperson at the store hook it up to a keyboard and give you an answer? Or go to the store yourself and give it a shot? Or maybe the manufacturer has a FAQ's section on their website that would have the answer. Or hopefully someone else on the forum that has a DR-880 will take 30 seconds to try it and let you know. Good luck.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

From the DR-880 user manual:

"The DR-880 makes it easy for you to play rhythm patterns using drum and bass. It contains 440 of the latest, high-quality drum and percussion sounds, plus 40 different bass soundsand you can vary the velocity to create expressive changes in volume or tone. A complete range of expressive potential is now at your fingertips, allowing you to create the most realistic of sounds, with any amount of dynamism or subtlety you desire."

Bass Tone

No. Name Voice

01 FingerBs 1 1

02 Finger/Nz1 1

03 FingerBs 2 1

04 Finger/Nz2 1

05 FingerBs 3 1

06 Finger/Nz3 1

07 RockFinger 1

08 PickedBs 1 1

09 Picked/Nz1 1

10 PickedBs 2 1

11 Picked/Nz2 1

12 PickedBs 3 1

13 Picked/Nz3 1

14 RockPicked 1

15 Stick Bass 1

16 PickMute 1 1

17 PickMute 2 1

18 Slap Bass 1

19 Slap/Nz 1

20 Slap Pop 1

21 WetFretles 1

22 FatFretles 1

23 Upright Bs 2

24 Upright/Nz 2

25 AcousticBs 1

26 Fing/Slap1 1

27 Fing/Slap2 1

28 Fing/Harm1 1

29 Fing/Harm2 1

30 4 PoleBass 1

31 SH101 Bass 1

32 Tick Bass 2

33 Juno Bass 2

34 Solid Bass 1

35 Drumn'Bass 1

36 House Bass 1

37 GarageBass 1

38 FM Bass 1

39 MGSaw Bass 1

40 TB303 Bass 1

You can listen to a video/audio demo on the Boss US website. Just click on "Interactive".

Hope this helps.

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Sven,

what seemed enlightening to me was the following phrase:

"you can vary the velocity to create expressive changes in volume or tone"

I know that the drum samples do have a velocity switching (I did listen to the demo on the Boss US website) and Boss claims that the samples are taken from the SRX library, so I guess (but in all fairness it's more than just a guess) that the bass samples as well have a velocity switching (like the bass sounds on the SRX cards do).

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Thank you, gents. I have reviewed the videos on Roland's site. The demo guy shows how "cool" the bass sounds are, but only plays back a few of the pre-programmed bass riffs. It was a little bit hard to tell, from that, if velocity switching was used.

I appreciate all the input. Dreamer, thank you for transcripting all that info from the manual, too. That was most helpful.

Cheers~

Originally posted by Dreamer:

Sven,

what seemed enlightening to me was the following phrase:

"you can vary the velocity to create expressive changes in volume or tone"

Whoops.... my bad. Sorry, Dreamer... I scanned right past that without it catching my eye.

:o

From the sounds of it, it looks like it does offer something that *may* be what our original poster was seeking. :)

Archived