Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm about to shoot my computer

aml4

I'm playing an old yamaha with midi I/O through an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile on Cubase SE (on a PC w/2GB of ram). I hit record and the midi notes register in the meter fine and play back with whatever instrument I select. But when I go to record again the the notes don't even show up on the meter and I cant make it work no matter what I do except to restart the computer. After I restart it, it work fines for only one track again.

Does anyone have any idea about what could be the problem? Is it the keyboard? Drivers?

I'd appreciate any help, its kind of hard to write a song when you have to restart your computer between every take haha

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a guess, but it sounds like (possibly) you're trying to record multiple MIDI channels on a keyboard that's not multitimbral (or at least is not set in a multitimbral mode).

In other words, you're recording a piano track on MIDI channel 1, and then you switch Cubase to track 2, and nothing happens when you play the keyboard or try to record that track. Is that about right?

If this isn't a correct diagnosis, you'll need to provide more specific information about what you're using to generate the sound, how you've got it set up, and what steps exactly you're taking to do what you're doing.

Originally posted by DanS:

Define 'old Yamaha'

Its a PSR 85.

Now that I've worked on the problem some I know its not cubase because the midi is inconsistent in any application so it must be the keyboard or interface...

I just saw the film Crash. If you really intend to shoot your computer, don't buy the bullets in the red box.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by aml4:

Its a PSR 85.

Now that I've worked on the problem some I know its not cubase because the midi is inconsistent in any application so it must be the keyboard or interface...

The "problem" is not a problem at all. Your PSR keyboard is a home/consumer product, and does not support playback of multiple sounds (in keyboard parlance, it is not multitimbral). You will only be able to record and playback a single MIDI channel.

Your only option is to record the audio from the PSR on the first track, then record the audio of the second track, and so on and so forth.

The newer PSR models are not that expensive, and DO support multitimbral playback. And for the money they sound surprisingly good. Nothing I would take out on a gig, but sufficient for work in the house.

You know, I had an old PSR way back in the 80s that had mini keys and no velocity sensitivity, but it was multitimbral through MIDI. Can't remember the model, but I taught myself how to sequence using that keyboard and a Commodore 64.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived