Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT -- Hug Your Families

NoahZark

As those of you in the Washington, D.C. area probably heard, this past Thursday there was a major accident during the morning rush hour at the intersection of two of Washington's busiest commuter corridors: the Capital Beltway and Interstate 270 in Maryland. A truck carrying lumber jacknifed on an overpass, dumping lumber onto the highway below and killing the driver of a car on his way to work.

I happen to know the driver who was killed in this utterly random, yet devastating, tragedy. He and I were work colleagues. He was a 48 year-old lawyer, who leaves behind a wife and two young children. I spent this morning at his funeral and came away with a renewed determination to not underestimate the shortness of the time that we have on this planet.

So, I know it's perhaps a bit cliche, but I intend to go home tonight, hug my wife a bit longer, hug my children a bit longer, and tell them again how much I love them. Perhaps some of you, after hearing this story, might be inclined to do the same.

Apologies if this sounds preachy. I don't intend it that way.

Peace to all,

Noah

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noah, sorry to hear about that. You are right, life is very fragile and we often don't take the time to express our emotions.

It reminds me about a nice delivery guy that used to come here. I work at home and often send/receive parcels by express service.

Some time ago, there was a long power outage (6 hours) on a Friday. As weather was bad and I didn't get the package I was supposed to receive that day, I told myself it was due to the snow storm.

The following Monday, a new delivery guy knocked at my door and told me his co-worker died in an accident just half a mile away from my house. He was smashed by a 45' semi-truck and both vehicles slammed into a pole, causing the blackout. Even though I didn't know the guy much, it was really sad news. He was only 47.

I saw that in the post and it did cross my mind what if that was someone I knew. That's unbelievable and really really sad. The chances of ever knowing the victim of one of these freak accidents.... Every time I think about winning the lottery I think about all the "lotteries" Im glad not to have won. Thanks for sharing. Take care.

Those sentiments really struck home with me last week. My mom had a heart attack last week. Luckily she survived and is doing well. It really made me think of how precious our families really are. Far too often we (at lest myself) get wrapped up in the rat race and forget to let our loved ones know just how much they mean to us. I haven't stopped hugging and kissing my mother for over a week now...

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Hug your family, you bet ,their all you got and all that matters . That fact was driven home to me when my brother was killed in his prime at 35 and we all had to circle the wagons so to speak ,as a family. Its been about 7 years now , but it has made an impact on all of us . And as a family we are a lot closer now and other things seem insignificant. And like you Steve, I hug Mom everytime I leave and tell her I love her.

My wife brings our 2 dauthers to a play group every thurday. A couple of weeks ago, there was a huge traffic accident near Ottawa. A 2 year old girl from that playgroup and her father were both killed in that accident. Devestating.

The day I heard the news I made sure to give out extra affection to my loved ones.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Those sentiments really struck home with me last week. My mom had a heart attack last week. Luckily she survived and is doing well. It really made me think of how precious our families really are. Far too often we (at lest myself) get wrapped up in the rat race and forget to let our loved ones know just how much they mean to us. I haven't stopped hugging and kissing my mother for over a week now...

Man, I'm sorry Steve. I'm glad that she is doing well.

Folks, that proverbial 'Mack Truck' is out there... as in "One day I'm gonna step off a curb and get hit by a Mack Truck, then what are ya going to do?"

I've got a few stories myself. But instead of going on and on, let me tell you that I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment shared in this thread. If you love someone, don't hesitate to tell them as often as you can. It's not 'sissy' to tell someone that you love them. In fact, if you mean it, and can bring yourself to say it, it's usually taken in the light that it was given.

I don't mean to get sentimental, but man is this ever true. You never know what tomorrow brings.

Tell the people you love that you love 'em. Tell them often. Make sure they know it. Life is short. This is important.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

If you love someone, don't hesitate to tell them as often as you can. It's not 'sissy' to tell someone that you love them.

You sissy! Of course, I mean that in a loving way. :wave:

Originally posted by garrafon:

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

If you love someone, don't hesitate to tell them as often as you can. It's not 'sissy' to tell someone that you love them.

You sissy! Of course, I mean that in a loving way. :wave:
Yeah, I figured you'd have something to say about that. :rolleyes: Let me rephrase that...

It's not 'sissy' for anyone but garrafon to tell someone that you love them.

There.

Oh, and garrafon...

Love ya... mean it. ;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by garrafon:

Excellent avatar Tom! I'm impressed by the way you keep abreast of current developments in the crustacean world!

When can we eat it?

Thanks for noticing, Mr. Garrafon.

It's a new crustacean discovered in the South Pacific that resembles a lobster and is covered with what looks like silky, blond fur.

Scientists said the animal, which they named Kiwa hirsuta, was so distinct from other species that they created a new family and genus for it.

Here's the story:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/03/08/furry.lobster.ap/index.html

Come on over this weekend. The five-day forecast says it will be 82 degrees here on Saturday.

http://www.wral.com/5dayforecast/index.html

That's perfect weather for beer drinkin' and Kiwa hirsuta eating.

Afterwards, we can play some Jimmy Buffet tunes just to set the mood. :thu:

Archived