Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Italian jazz in N.Y.

marino

For jazz lovers who live in the New York area, or are going to be there at the end of March, let me recommend a series of concerts at N.Y.'s Birdland featuring some of the best Italian jazzers. The festival will run from March 28th to April 2th. All concerts include fantastic musicians - but I'd like to point out that on March 30th and 31th, my fellow Roman, pianist Enrico Pieranunzi, is playing a trio set with two stellar sidemen, Marc Johnson on bass and Paul Motian on drums.

This could be a good occasion for American musicians to hear Enrico, in my view a pianist and musician of gigantic proportions. Despite having recorded with lots of American musicians along the years, he has chosen to keep his base in Europe, so he's still relatively unknown for the USA audiences - but I think he absolutely deserves to be known among the modern jazz greats.

The New York Birdland is located at 315 West 44th Street.

And no, I have nothing to do with the concerts' organization... just recommending a good musician who is rarely heard (in the States... I heard him last Saturday). :D:D:D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marino,

I'm always hoping to find new sources of inspiration, and what could be better than a trusted recommendation of a talented, if unknown (in the US) performer? Upon Googling, I was delighted to learn that Enrico's work evokes thoughts of Vince Guaraldi and Bill Evans, among others. That Paul Motian is joining Enrico is an added pleasure, and hopefully, will attract many folks to experience what I'm certainly looking forward to. Thanks for spreading the word.

- Barry

I just happened to hear Enrico Pieranunzi the other day while listening to a jazz program on the local public radio. I've only heard the one track from him, but he sounded very good. In fact, the DJ listed his sidemen and I believe it was that exact trio I heard, but maybe not. I don't quite remember. This particular DJ plays a lot of music from European artists that I'm not familiar with, but Enrico was one of the names I remembered. Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near New York, but I agree that he's worth checking out.

Some additional info: Enrico Pieranunzi has recorded with Lee Konitz, Chet Baker, Art Farmer, Bill Smith, and many, many other American heavyweights. He has a stable trio with Marc Johnson and Joey Baron. He's recorded some 50 albums as a leader. McCoy Tyner has said that Enrico is his favorite modern pianist.

Etc. etc. :)

A passing note: The comparison with Vince Guaraldi sounds kind of funny to me. I've followed Enrico's evolution quite closely, and I'd say that his main influences were Bill Evans, McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock and Keith Jarrett. Guaraldi's style is quite different.

Today, however, he has his own voice, coupled with a stunning piano technique and touch control. Maybe his music speaks to me because I'm from the same place, but he amazes me every time I attend one of his concerts.

Hey sounds like a real sweet gig - i listened to that beautiful album with Johnson 'Tras Noche' (or something) the other day and then looked up some charts of his - Coralie and... some others... :) has some very interesting chord movements!
Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

Originally posted by JimmyJimJim:

Hey sounds like a real sweet gig - i listened to that beautiful album with Johnson 'Tras Noche' (or something) the other day and then looked up some charts of his - Coralie and... some others... :) has some very interesting chord movements!

Jimmy - do you mind to share where you found those charts? I'd like to have a look too.. :D:D

Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by BenOne:

Carlo,

Maybe it's worth getting these performances on Keyboard Magazine's radar? It might provide some good coverage for them, especially if the magazine is trying to feature more artists.

Ben

Sorry Ben - I had missed your suggestion the first time.

Wonderful idea - but I think the best thing I can do is to point out the Festival to Stephen and the other Keyboard folks here. If my recommendation is worth something, I believe every concert is whorth checking, but Enrico is *the* musician to watch; especially with such stellar sidemen. :)

Hey Carlo,

I got them out of a variety of Real Books that my tutor owns - he has heaps of them! 'Coralie' was in a newish one called the 'All Jazz Real Book', i think, which is fairly refreshing - it fills some standards gaps from the original and 'new' real book series (like, er, Yardbird Suite) and includes a heap of newer composers like Pieranunzi, Werner, Beirach and Petrucciani, and some less thrashed stuff from old guys like Jobim.

What else have i played? I have a lovely tune called 'Don't Forget the Poet', can't remember what book though... hey i'll check it out for you!

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

Originally posted by JimmyJimJim:

Hmm i think 'Poet' and another one called 'Dees Song' are in the New Real Book Vol 2...

Wow, I must have that book somewhere but I haven't noticed Enrico's songs... I'll check ASAP.

Thanks Jimmy!

Archived