Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official AI 2006 Thread

daBowsa

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone tape the show? I thought I spied some funny business going on...

At the end of Paris' performance, she hit the last note and threw her head back (up). When they showed the clips at the end of the show, reviewing the phone numbers, her last note ended with her throwing her head to the side. What gives?

Maybe the highlight clips are from the dress rehearsal? Maybe since Paris went last, they didn't have the live one cued up in time?

Either way, I'm not sure what to think about that. Did anyone hear that feedback during Taylor's performance? Pretty funny that he missed the mic stand and went for it a second time!

The mic stand kick had me laughing my ass off. Still, even with that failed cheese-mo move, I thought Taylor did a good job with the song/performance.

I agree it should be Ace tonight. He should have listened to Brian. Katherine's a close second, based on last night's performances.

I thought Chris picked a bad song (Hey, there's a reason Queen never played that one live) but sang the hell out of it. Still, I think he has a chance to be in the bottom three.

Bucky's surprising me. I'm not into a country-version of "Fat Bottomed Girls," but I bet a lot of callers will be.

Kelly's quite the little poser. She did great on the song, but, if she keeps this up, she'll be coming out dressed like Avril Lavigne before long. :freak:

All in all, it could have been worse. At least we're getting to the point where the performances are generally pretty good.

Cheers,

Mark

[EDIT -- oh, and I almost forgot, Elliot made the right choice in not going for the high note on Somebody to Love. While he didn't get my vote (see above ;) ), he would never have made it.]

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Caught that too Dabowsa.. Thought maybe it was that last glass of Yellowtail wine that got the best of me.

I guess you're right, apparently there is a dress rehearsal for the show. It never crossed my mind before, but it is a live show so it makes perfect sense.

TROLL . . . ish.

Ace was just stupid.

Here's a clue, pretty-boy -- if a guy with dozens of hit records thinks your arrangement sucks, well... :rolleyes:

When he commented, "I thought I rocked" I could have just smacked him. Somebody needs to show that boy what rocks is.

I've actually liked his voice up until now, but he completely lost me last night.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I recorded it on TIVO but deleted it after watching. If the new undelete feature works I will check the end and see what is up with the end of Paris' song. I have noticed in the past that the clip of the last person is always the last few seconds of the song. That never changes. If it was recorded earlier I don't think they would stick with that limitation.

Does anyone else think Elliott's timing is off? I've noticed this since the beginning and it bothers me a lot. Maybe it's becuase I'm a drummer at heart. It is not just changing up the timing. More like he does not listen to the band and they have to follow him rather than him staying tight with them. I don't know if he is sloppy of if it may be his deaf ear giving him problems on stage.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Root:

Originally posted by cnegrad:

Originally posted by kad:

Katherine is SO cute!

...but totally sucked. She'll be in the bottom three, and may even get kicked off tonight.
Man, what the hell? I've only been able to catch one show this season, the one when Kat sang Until you come back to me. I thought she was $*#&$* AWESOME on that one and figured she was too damn talented and sexy to not win it. Now I hear she's not been singing well. Is she only good at singing Aretha? If she does get voted off I have a shoulder she can cry on...and a lap she can sit on...and a...
Man, she sang friggin' "Who wants to live forever"......it's a GREAT song, but it's incredibly difficult. I remember Seal sang it for the Freddie Mercury tribute concert....it was rough. It's a hard song to sing....maybe my favorite Queen song, though.

Katherine did better than Seal, if it's any consolation...

Originally posted by cnegrad:

Originally posted by kad:

Katherine is SO cute!

...but totally sucked. She'll be in the bottom three, and may even get kicked off tonight.
Guess again. :P
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Same here. I actually don't think he deserved to go for that performance. I guess there's still enough teenage girls in the Ace fan club to stave off disaster for him. Too bad they made all three of the bottom three sing last night, instead of just the person who left. We had to hear Ace muck-up We Will Rock You once again. :rolleyes:

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Originally posted by daBowsa:

Did anyone tape the show? I thought I spied some funny business going on...

At the end of Paris' performance, she hit the last note and threw her head back (up). When they showed the clips at the end of the show, reviewing the phone numbers, her last note ended with her throwing her head to the side. What gives?

I did the undelete thing with TIVO, watched the end of the show, and you are correct. I checked it several times and also watched the full performance just to make sure that clip did not come from a point earlier in the show. I wonder if the clip did come from the dress rehearsal?

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Last night, it was songs from the "Great American Songbook" with Rod Stewart.

Must be just how good those songs are, but everyone sounded pretty good, and some performances gave me goosebumps.

HIghlights for me: Paris, Katherine

Downsides: Kelly, Ace

I also think the mix is off a lot of the time (voices too far back in the mix).

Agreed Felix, Katherine and Paris were perfection!

Me thinks the cameraman is totally in love with Kat.. Those were the most intense close-ups Ive seen since early Rita Hayworth movies. She is a beautiful girl, I won't argue with that, but sheesh...

The judges seemed to awaken from there slumber last night as well. Nice to see those singers in there element finally instead of butchering Queen songs.

TROLL . . . ish.

Now that I'm paying attention to it, more than one of the recaps seemed unfamiliar to me...

A great night all around - Dave Horne owes us a big "I told you so" about classic music.

My top 3 were Kat, Paris and Taylor. I disagreed and thought that Chris still sounded like Chris, only softer. I'm not a fan of his timbre or vibrato.

Bottom 3 are Elliot, Ace, and Kelly...BUT Kelly will be voted through. What a great flip where she had the judges saying "It wasn't that bad." And she got the "At least have great shoes" comment in - that scores points.

My favorite quote was, of course, "Take a load off my chest." They cut the scene short, but I could have sworn Rod Stewart was about to say, "No, darling, the expression is 'Take a dump on my chest.'"

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

I was surprised at Chris being there as well. My bets are on him and Kat to be the final 2.

My money is still on Taylor and Kat as the final two.

I agree with daBowsa about Chris - he's a one trick pony, and I'm not a big fan of the trick. His vibrato is just.... annoying.

I've been fairly indifferent about Paris, but she really knocked my socks off this time around. As much as Kelly stunk up the place this week, she will continue to get the "cute dumb blonde" vote.

Ok, here is how I see the rest of the season unfolding:

next to go: Elliot

then: Paris

then: Kelly

then: Chris

finally: Taylor

Kat wins all the marbles.

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

I don't see Kat winning it, but she'll definitely get close to the end - probably even the final two.

Love Songs next week - not good for Chris (time for him to rock out again). Good for Kat and Paris, and maybe Taylor if he can find a "Taylor-friendly" song (could be good for Kelly too, after stumbling this week she could take advantage of a 'you're back this week' angle).

Anyone else notice that it's not a good thing to go first (like Chris did this week), and better to go later in the show (like Kat did this week)?

Kad, that's a good elimination breakdown.. I'd have to say Taylor over Kat though in the final.. My $.02-

Ballad for Ballad- Taylor doing 'Georgia' by Ray, or a great Joe Cocker tune trumps Kat's jazzy sensual songbirding.

Upbeat/Uptempo- Folks are getting used to Taylors fun spastic gyrations that always seem to end big. Kat doesn't have any.

Upbeat vs Ballad- There lies the critical song choice dilemma. Both have been making bad bad choices in recent weeks. coinflip.

Future fun- Taylors next 2 CD releases are double platnum. Kat's sales, not so big, but she gets song of the year for a hit soundtrack to an '07 Julia Roberts movie.

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by daBowsa:

I don't know if Taylor will last that long, kad.

Anyone catch the "Keyboard SOLO!" in the Rod Stewart song? Looked like a Nord Lead 2 on top there! :thu:

Those vibes sounded pretty realistic. I think that was a Triton under a Nord Lead 2. That's the first time I've seen a clost-up like that on the keys.

I'm still rooting for Katherine and I'm torn between Elliott, Chris and Taylor.

Regards,

Eric

Everyone pretty much sucked tonight - they all must go!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - my gosh is Katherine a beautiful girl!! :)

Archived