Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official AI 2006 Thread

daBowsa

No Taylor won't win, but as mentioned he will be around for many many years!

It's better he didn't win, as we don't want the AI pop-gloss-machine to ruin the originality and soul of this guy. You can tell you really loves music with all his heart! I'd love to produce an album with him...Paris too for that matter!

My top 6 guys so far-

1)Elliott

2)Ace

3)Taylor

4)Chris

5)Sway

6)David

My top 6 girls so far-

1)Katherine

2)Lisa

3)Paris

4)Mandisa

5)Basketball girl(Ayla?)

6)Kellie

*And what you've all been waiting for.. Becky to get voted off so her and her twin sis can get on with the modeling careers!!

The Maxim spred- AI twins

TROLL . . . ish.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dan South:

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

But they cut the really great looking Brunette today. :cry:

http://www.idolonfox.com/contestants/i/f/becky.jpg

Nice face. :thu:

Too bad she couldn't sing. :rolleyes:

I'd be happy just look at her while I listen to Bach, Bird, and the Beatles.
Ha ha - great idea!! :D

Originally posted by meccajay:

My top 6 girls so far-

1)Katherine

2)Lisa

3)Paris

4)Mandisa

5)Basketball girl(Ayla?)

6)Kellie

After last night I would almost reverse that. I think Paris is starting to get on my nerves. Mandisa has a strong voice but she looses control when she pushes.

At some point last night I changed the way I judge the contestants. Instead of judging their vocals and performance I started thinking, "If I started a band and this person was available to sing, do I think we could make it?" The way Kellie is improving week after week I wonder how good she will end up being. She is probably the one I would take a chance on if I was starting a band. But, I still think the men will outnumber the women 4 to 2 in the final 6.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

I still think the men will outnumber the women 4 to 2 in the final 6.

Yeah, I thought last night was weak. It didn't hold my interest at all.

Although I didn't like the song Paris picked, I still think she was on the money and totally confident. Most of the others have the "Here's my song, do you think its any good?" attitude where Paris is "Here it is, its good."

I can't believe the majority picked down-tempo numbers for week 2! Booooring. This is TV people! Nobody has enough history yet to "show off their softer side." I don't care how emotional you can be. Save that for when you have to sing 2 songs in one night. But for now, get me excited about something.

I was definitely flipping around between songs - I could care less about the back stories and an 1.5 hours of these mediocre girls is more than I can watch.

Originally posted by daBowsa:

I was definitely flipping around between songs - I could care less about the back stories and an 1.5 hours of these mediocre girls is more than I can watch.

Yep. This is one show that makes me fork over the monthly TIVO fee. I watched it in about 45 minutes. :)

Robert

Yep, boring is the word of the day! Very forgettable as Simon mentioned. The most interesting thing about last night, was how high Paula was!!

It was so embarrasing, I thought they were gonna come back from commercial and her chair would be suddenly empty. Guys, is it pills or booze??!!

The thing about Kellie is that she's "selling" it too hard. All the charm and "awe shucks" southern innocence seemed so endearing at the beginning and now it seems like she's channeling it more than whats there to milk anymore. Kinda awkward.

She is a pretty girl, but last years winner was prettier, sang better, and was REALLY accepted by country fans. Is America oversaturated with it? We'll see.

Paris sang well, but was boirng and Simon was right about the 'just be a teen' thing, but because of her famous family roots, I'm thinking she's pacing herself based on instructions from 'team Paris'. This could maximize her affect in the "money" weeks ahead, when she's going against the men. Maybe I'm overthinking everything.

Guys betta bring it tonight!

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

... The most interesting thing about last night, was how high Paula was!!

It was so embarrasing, I thought they were gonna come back from commercial and her chair would be suddenly empty. Guys, is it pills or booze??!!

This also happened last year and I was betting pills. After seeing highlites of an interview I'm guessing she is a bit manic.

I'm not much on the chicks this year. Not one of them blows me away. I do like Mandisa and Kellie is kind of the hot one. Ayla is also interesting, since she has a variety of diverse talents.

The guys this year are much better. I'm watching now and thoroughly enjoyed the first 4 performances to the point that I would have a hard time picking my favorite. I do like Taylor Hicks for his personality and soul. Elliott is strong and from my hometown, so I think I'll root a little bit for him as well. Most all of the guys are really good.

Did anyone hear the Keyboard player flub the intro to "Easy" tonight? He had the wrong patch queued up - he played a few notes with the Phased Rhodes patch, had an "oh sh*t" moment and quickly toggled over to a piano patch. Pretty funny and exposed in the mix. That sort of thing has happened to me countless times (but not on a show like AI :D )

Regards,

Eric

Heard the flub and it was nice. That shows that real musicians are playing live. :)

I was disapointed with Taylor. Not only was the song choice a bit off for him, but he keeps throwing in "Hey" and "Wooo". Yes, I countd them. 2 Hey's and 4 Woo's during a very abreviated slow song. It did not fit, but I still like him.

taylor is probably the best one, he is a very talented singer and performer, but he needs to drop the ray charles mimicing. when i see somebody obviously imitating somebody, well, it's embarrassing.

Suitcase 73 - D6 - Poly 800 - ATC-1 - Motif Rack - XV-2020 - plug-ins

I didn't think that Chris or Bucky were as good as t he judges said. I missed Taylor and Elliot, but Elliot seemed strong in the 10 second replay.

Again, overall, a slow, boring night.

I enjoyed Gedeon and don't know what to make of that kid Kevin.

I'm not really digging this 2 night boy/girl format.

I missed a few of the performances. I thought the crooner should stop with the Sinatra and maybe sing some more recent stuff, if he even survives. The only performance I even liked tonight was Chris at the end. He rocked. All the others, YAWWWWWWWNNN.

Only one more week I think of the 2 night girl/boy format. Then they'll be down to the final 12 and it'll enter the normal 2 nights a week.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by eric:

Did anyone hear the Keyboard player flub the intro to "Easy" tonight? He had the wrong patch queued up - he played a few notes with the Phased Rhodes patch, had an "oh sh*t" moment and quickly toggled over to a piano patch. Pretty funny and exposed in the mix. That sort of thing has happened to me countless times (but not on a show like AI :D )

Regards,

Eric

That happened to me at a gig last weekend - I started playing a rhodes part with a synth lead queued up. DOHHH!!!!!!!
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Elliot and Chris were the strongest. Elliot sung the hell outta Moody's Mood! I still like Taylor, but he's having trouble fitting into the pop format. I say that's a good thing!

The band was good last night. I noticed that the 2 keyboardist's are carrying the band. Them and the backround singers. That's funny cause in most incarnations of Ricky's band, such a award shows etc, he's the one carrying the band's sound playing bass. I guess they tone it down to keep the kids on cue. In any event, you can tell they're sleeping thru the soggy song choices and arrangements of these singers and waiting for the meatier songs and arrangements ala Bo bice, Carrie, and Fantasia from previous years.

TROLL . . . ish.

The girls had me yawning the night away.

The guys show was slightly better. Taylor Hicks has a style all his own, and he'll be making music for a long to come. Not sure how long he'll last on this show, though.

Chris and Elliot both impressed me a lot. The rest of the guys basically did not.

Chicken Little has got to go. I can't for the life of me understand why Randy gave him so much positive feedback -- he basically sucked. :(

Sway and David also sounded just awful. Why on Earth would you pick a Stevie Wonder song if you're not going to nail it to the wall? Baffles me.

Yeah, I heard the patch flub too, and got a good smile out of that one. Lord knows it's happened to me enough times. :rolleyes:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Last night went the way I had hoped. The people are gone that should be gone, and one more week should clear out the riffraff.

Carrie Underwood impressed me when she sang her hit on the show. I had not heard anything from her country album. She was clearly a step above any of this year's female singers.

Robert

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

Chicken Little has got to go. I can't for the life of me understand why Randy gave him so much positive feedback -- he basically sucked. :(

--Dave

I think Randy & Paula are trying not to fall into the William Hung trap, where basically they beat up on a poor helpless slug like him, and then get it thrown back in there face by America for being mean.

In other words, he sucks, we know it but we'll be extra nice, and let America figure it out in 2-3 weeks. Just my theory.

TROLL . . . ish.

I thought last night went the right way as well, though I think "Sway" has more talent than Kevin. Did anyone notice that Paula seemed to be very drunk or something? Those odd comments just before people got kicked to the curb and just her general demeanor seemed like she was on something!

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by eric:

Did anyone notice that Paula seemed to be very drunk or something? Those odd comments just before people got kicked to the curb and just her general demeanor seemed like she was on something!

Yup, me and Rabid were discussing this very thing earlier on this page. That whole sequence where Paule says "One girl had salad for dinner and one had pizza" was disturbing. Also her hysterical laughter while these poor kids were getting the boot. Totally uncool.
TROLL . . . ish.

Yeah, Paula was way out in left field last night. I turned to my wife and said, "Wow, how high is she."

My wife: "Pretty damn high".

Me, in my best George-Thorougood-Houserent-Blues imitation: "You know when you mouth gets dry, yor petty high".

:D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

Wow, Kennick was really quite bad. I actually fast-forwarded through most of that.

I predict she and Ayla go. Not so sure about Ayla though. But it's got to be someone.

I usually agree with Simon, not necessarily the presentation but the content. But I really enjoyed Melissa's Heart cover, I'm not sure why he didn't.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

Drummer is hot! The band as a whole was hot.. The backround singers blew out Kinnik. The guitarist was on it too, although I realize he was playing mostly open rock chords, but you could tell they were finally feeling it for a change.

Overall the girls seemed to step it up a lot. Mandisa s a damn beast when she wanna be. I'm of the mindset that if you did a Carnie Wilson on her, she could be a bonified Pop star.

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived